close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

ASP Options on Category page

Thread began 4/15/2010 8:23 pm by bjgarner241692 | Last modified 4/20/2010 8:23 am by bjgarner241692 | 1582 views | 4 replies |

bjgarner241692

ASP Options on Category page

I have a site where some, but not all products have options.
The options vary by product.
There is no price associated with the options. They are things such as size or colour.

I have a working Category page, on which I have a Buy now button leading to a Product Details page. On the Product Details Page, I am able to call up the options by linking the tables in the RecordSet. Adding to cart at this level is no problem. Everything works fine.

What I would like to achieve, is to eliminate the Product Details page but I cannot get the options to display properly on the Category Page.

I can envision the resolution, but I cannot code it.

What I need is a second recordset for options that would look something like this.

rsOptions

SELECT *
FROM options
WHERE prodname = param

param = prodname from rsProds

I've tried doing it with a hidden form and field but that failed and I've tried calling the rsProds.prodname field directly but I cannot get the syntax to work.

If I could get rsOptions to work, the rest of it is easy. I can show or hide the options dropdown based on whether there is a value in rsOptions.

Can this be done?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the key for making this work is to move the rsProds recordset into the repeat region that is used to display the product.

Send a copy of your page, and I can help with the coding.

bjgarner241692

I've pretty much undone what I had attempted so I have nothing to send at present.

Do you just mean to put the actual code, defining the recordset, in the repeat region rather than before the <HEAD>?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, as well as setting the filtering options to use the value from the record set that is creating the repeat region.

The idea is that each time a record is displayed, the options record set needs to be recreated form the current record.

by nesting the record set in the repeat region, you can filter it on the current record to get the options pertinent to that product.

bjgarner241692

Thank you, that worked perfectly

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...