close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

CSS with PowerCMS2

Thread began 4/12/2010 12:53 pm by robert222776 | Last modified 5/04/2010 10:00 am by neilo | 2891 views | 12 replies |

robert222776

CSS with PowerCMS2

I am a version 1.02 developer, and have always felt that the application of (class) styles (called out on the external style sheet controlling the site pages) by the client/user was straightforward enough, but it was the addition of the class styles by the developer to the drop down, so they were accessible to the client/user in the internal html editor, was tricky at best. Judging from the number of threads on CSS, others found this to be true too.

From the demo for PowerCMS2 I see that the client/user will still have the styles, format, etc., drop downs available to them, and referring to your latest FAQs, your Q regarding CSS "Can a user select various styles......." your answer was:

"Out of the box, PowerCMS only gives users the ability to define text as Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. However, PowerCMS does NOT currently allow users to select various CSS styles. Instead, when a user adds content within PowerCMS the content will automatically inherit any existing CSS styles of the page being edited."

Do you really mean "NOT". If users are NOT allowed to select various CSS styles, then isn't this a step backward in capability from version 1.02?

In your demo, if you look at the source view for the Del Mar page, you will find various classes (top, stat, label, bottom, etc.) used throughout the page source: For example:

<p class="stat">25,000</p>

How is this class being added if not from the drop down for "style" (which is not there, by the way, as a choice)? Granted it could have been originally introduced by the developer, and only the number edited by the client/user, but what if the client/user was creating new content that included this line, and wanted to use the class "stat" to complete the style? How does he implement it if he knows nothing about html and is intimidated by the source view?

Finally, and once and for all, if the style drop down IS available for classes, what is the most straight forward way to make the external style sheet classes accessible via the editor (style) drop down?

Thanks,
Robert

Sign in to reply to this post

craigs386868

I Agree

Couldn't agree more! This feature should be standard no doubt about that.
I'm currently fishing around here trying to find a post to give a step by step on how to add styles to the styles drop down so if you find one that is strait forward please let me know.

Ahh sorry just found out you need another Web Assist extension to add functionality to the style drop down.... "HTML Editor" if you have that then you can make custom changes and link that menu to a css file... or so someone has mentioned in a post. I haven't tried this yet. Will let you know if I have any joy.

Neil Beadle

The CSS styles feature in PowerCMS 2 is the same as it was in PowerCMS 1. We are trying to work out a solution where you could reference your website's style sheet to have all the styles available in the HTML Editor, as well as applied to the content when displayed in PowerCMS.

Unfortunately, the fckeditor which our HTML Editor relies on doesn't accommodate for CSS style sheets in a way that would make this implementation very easy - but we are considering ways to handle this in the future.

neilo

Originally Said By: Neil Beadle
  The CSS styles feature in PowerCMS 2 is the same as it was in PowerCMS 1  

So you can add your own styles through HTML Editor, then? Or have you adjusted the HTMLEditor code in CMS2 to prevent this? Sorry Neil, but just a bit confused about the double message here!

neilo

Hi Craig,

Yes - if you have HTMLEditor, it should be straight forward, but there is a knack to it.

If you have HTMLEditor and want a rundown on what procedure works for me, I'd be happy to post it.

Although it seems from previous posts in this thread that there is now some doubt about this facility still being available in CMS2.

Awaitin confirmation!

neilo

Oi tommysebazco,

Behave yerself. You've posted same message on several different threads under several different product types.

Either ask a proper question or stop posting.

robert222776

Thanks for the replies.

Neil, please advise on when (future?) there might be a built in solution to the "class" issue. Speaking for myself only, I see this lack of functionality (i.e ability to show classes in the style drop down) as a major deficiency in this application, be it PCMS1 or PCMS2.

Neilo, I know there have been many posts about this issue, but I would appreciate a posting of your work-around again so we have interim solution. I presently have PCMS1, but would consider PCMS2 if your work-around requires it. I also have the stand-alone HTML editor.

Thanks,
Robert

neilo

Hi Robert,

I will post back with a step by step solution that seems to work for people who have tried it (at least in CMS1).

It may not be for a while (few hours - 1 day) but I will post it.

robert222776

That's great neilo....thanks!

Robert

Neil Beadle

Neilo,

Yes, you should be able to reenter the HTML Editor instances in PowerCMS in HTML Editor to include your own style sheet. This will allow you to include the various classes you want from the Styles menu in the toolbar.

However, this will not change how the content appears when viewed in PowerCMS.

Robert,

This is currently just a feature request and something we are looking at handling in a future version of PowerCMS. We have no timeline on when that might be. Sorry.

-Neil

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...