close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

User name other than email address

Thread began 4/09/2010 9:46 pm by jbrooks283783 | Last modified 11/19/2010 1:47 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2062 views | 5 replies |

jbrooks283783

First time user of the registration system and after 2 weeks of frustration, careful reading of the directions AND viewing of the videos, suddenly all is well and working perfectly...except...

Client does not want to use email addresses as the user login name, and does not require that users self register. Instead client wants to personally handle all registrations (numbers are low - maybe 5 changes per month). Since not all users have email addresses, I see two directions to go:

1. Assign all users a dummy email address for logins. Issue: validation of email address for login. Since email address is dummy, then new user will not receive a validation email and consequently cannot login even if they are provided with a user name and password.

2. Assign all users a non email formatted username and password. Issue: how would I change the database to expect / receive this type of formatted information for a user name and how do I allow for a successful login without the email validation.

Thank you for your help.

JB

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

The User Registration Solution Pack has been designed to work as it does now with the email address as the identifier and this is enforced throughout the files in the Solution Pack. Updating this core functionality would require extensive editing of the code within the Solution Pack. These edits would require making use of Security Assist and DataAssist at a minimum and CSS Form Builder or Validation Toolkit to handle the validations. It is possible to manually remove the validations for the email.

If you have these tools available and would like some additional insight on the changes that will need to be made please post back and let us know and we can start on the first part.

Larry

Hi Eric,

I find that using the email address as validation is somewhat unintuitive, I hope that is the correct word.

Any way what happens when you have 2 people living in the same house that use the same email address, for instance my wife and I use the same email address here at home. I am putting together a site for family, and find that once I register with my email address, now my wife cannot register. The same holds true for my parents, once my dad registers, my mom cannot register using the same email address.

We have other family members that are in the same situation, so I for one would be very grateful for a solution to this issue, other than forcing one family member to maybe sign up for a yahoo account.

Would it not be better, or easier to maybe have the URSP use a user name for validation.

I should mention that at this point I am working locally with wamp server, I doubt that would make a difference for right now.

So, could you please provide a solution, hopefully in plain easy to follow instructions.

Thank you

Larry

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

modifying the user registration solution pack to work this way is not a simple modification that i could give simple easy to follow steps for.

For one, the users table that is created does not have a username column, it uses the email address as the user name.

You would be better off using Security Assist to create the registration and login functionality from the ground up, this will give you the option of creating a database table that has a user name column for you to use. While running the security assist wizard, you will have the option of setting the user name column as the unique column.

Larry

Hi Jason,

I really kind of figured that would be the response, and I do appreciate your response. I guess in a way I was maybe hoping this could be an option in a future release or point update.

I am certainly not the only one who has inquired about this issue/question. There are a few other threads on this in the forum.

Again, maybe just a thought for a future release.

Thank you

Larry

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If you would like to have this considered for a future version of the User registration solution pack, please submit your request to the wishlist forum.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...