close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

'Paid For' web subscriber system

Thread began 4/03/2010 2:05 am by JohnPicton | Last modified 4/07/2010 12:27 pm by Eric Mittman | 1464 views | 4 replies |

JohnPicton

'Paid For' web subscriber system

Is there a way of combining Webassist extensions to produce a user registration system for web content that requires an annual fee? Perhaps this would involve Universal Email to send out annual reminders, eCart to take payments and Data Assist to store user info? The user would pay for their year of access and then be able to log in and see password protected content.

Would this need a cron job setting up to daily check expiry dates of registrations?

Sign in to reply to this post

i.edwards384429

update

Hi

I'm trying to do the same thing with a combinatio of the user registration module and the essential suite.

Haven't suceeded as yet but this is how far I ahve got.

I setup the user registration module to allow the upload of images.

I then used data assist to show selected records via a selection screen.

The using security assist I protected the search, and results page with passwords.

Where I'm at now is trying to implement the payment structure so that once payment is made access is allowed.

I suspect ecart will be involved

I watch with interest

cheers

Ian

Eric Mittman

I think the next steps would be to incorporate eCart for the commerce. When a user makes a purchase that will allow them access you would then update the user record or order so that on the restricted pages you will be able to query the information for the logged in user and check that they have access.

The key to this part is making sure that on a successful purchase you update the db for either the user or the order associated with the user so that you can check to see if they have made the purchase.

Please post back with any specific questions that you have about any part of this.

JohnPicton

So then, I reckon that on the 'payment confirmed' page you would need to have a script that changes a database value (to 'Y' for example) which then allows access to the protected content based on that value.

How do you think it's best to set up a system that will automatically notify an administrator when a users annual access is almost over and they have to renew? I thought initially a CRON job could be set up on the server, which checks the database once a day and somehow does this with Universal Email?

Eric Mittman

You are correct on both parts. When a user makes the purchase you will update the column in your db table to indicate that they have successfully purchased the access. You will also want to record the date and time of the purchase so that you can determine when it expires.

For the notifying portion you would want to create a page that has a query on it that checks for users whose access is about to expire. You would then add in Universal Email to this page to send each of them a message about the pending expiration. Once the page is crafted and known to be working correctly you would want to make your cron job that executes the page on a daily basis.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...