close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Pay Per View Video Site

Thread began 4/02/2010 11:42 pm by bruce379400795 | Last modified 4/21/2010 4:08 pm by Eric Mittman | 1201 views | 9 replies |

bruce379400795

Pay Per View Video Site

I want to create a pay per view video site for a client. What would be the best way of going about this with eCart?

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

From the perspective of the commerce that eCart will handle for you the site would be very similar to any physical goods site. You would have product listing pages and a way for the user to get more details about the video. On this page the user would be able to add the item to the cart and then proceed to checkout. Once the transaction is complete you will then be able to deliver the video.

How far along in the process are you and what specifically are you looking for guidance on?

bruce379400795

I'm getting ready to build my database structure and I was just trying to figure out exactly how I want to do this. I guess I would put the videos into a folder with their filenames stored in my database. I did download the MySQL e-Commerce database you have for free.

Eric Mittman

You should be fine staring with the MySQL eCommerce DB that we offer. If you have not seen it already you should take a look at the Digital Goods Download Center guide that we have here:

creating_download_center.php

It references the eCommerce db within this guide and is intended to help you come up with a download center like you have described. Please give this a look and the other docs that it references to get a better understanding of the exact steps you will need to take to implement this. Let us know if you have any difficulty with this or if you have any questions.

bruce379400795

I checked out the file you posted in your reply. It says I would need Digital File Pro, but I only have the Dynamic Suite. I saw the new Universal Email 4 has digital file capabilities. Would that program be sufficient enough. I have hand-coded file upload scripts but have never done a file download script.

Eric Mittman

The download file server behavior in DFP and UE4 is the key to this, it is what allows you to have files outside of your webroot and still have users download them under your own conditions. This way the files are secure so that someone could not just pass out a url to get at the file.

bruce379400795

I went through the tutorial provided on how to create a digital download center. This is not exactly how I want to go about creating the site. I want it to be a pay per view video site where the user will click on a video, pay, and be able to watch the video (but not download it). Users do not need to log in. They will just go to the site, search for the video they want, click it, pay, and be able to watch it. If they want to watch it twice, then they pay twice. How would I modify the MySQL E-Commerce databse and tutorial to accomplish this? Thanks in advance

Eric Mittman

You will need to work out exactly how you would like this to work from the perspective of the user and the admin who will be interacting with the site. Once you know exactly what info you need and where and when you need it you will be able to modify your db to fit your needs.

The setup will be custom and it will be up to your to decide how it should be done. I'm not sure how the page with the video on it will work exactly, it sounds like you could just secure it with an access rule but what happens if the user refreshes the page? There are a few parts of this that need to be well thought out in their entirety before you can begin developing.

bruce379400795

I realize this requires much planning, that’s why I am here because this forum gives me great advice and direction. Anyway, what I want for a guest to come to the site, search for a video they want to view, click on it, pay for it, and then view it streaming on a page. I know I will need a table for administrators, videos, and orders. What other tables will I need?

I have the Dynamic Suite along with the new Universal Email 4. I am pretty sure these are all the products that I will need. Anything else I can hand code if need be. I will use Security Assist to protect the video folder (which will be placed outside the root of the website), Data Assist and eCart 5 to build the checkout feature. I was thinking about Flow Player for streaming the video. What do you think about that?

Thanks in advance for the help. I know once I get pointed in the right direction I will be able to finish this up.

Eric Mittman

I think that part of the problem might be that you are trying to solve this scenario in it's entirety. I think it would be best to start with the commerce portion. This part should be very straight forward. You will have a table that holds the info about the videos including the names locations and prices.

Next you would create the add to cart functionality on a listing page that shows all of the available videos. Instead of redirecting the user to the cart page you would send them directly to the checkout page, you might want to have a cart display on this page so they can see what they are purchasing.

When the user successfully transacts you would want to update your orders table to include a record about this transaction including the video details. You will also need some type of identifier in this record so that when the user goes to the page to view the video you can update the same record to indicate that the page has been visited. Once you have this part all worked out you can think about the page that gives the user the video and how to secure that and ensure that the user can access it only once.

The delivery of the video is something that is very easy to say in a sentence, but implementing it requires logic to ensure that the user is viewing the correct video and that they can only do this once. There is much more going on with this part than it seems. For example what criteria do you use to determine that the person visiting the page is the person who made the purchase? How do you know what video they are viewing? The solutions to these questions will rely on how exactly you would like it to work.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...