close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Mulitple Current Items selected

Thread began 3/27/2010 12:03 pm by paulshoe379536 | Last modified 4/12/2010 6:09 pm by Eric Mittman | 3328 views | 17 replies |

paulshoe379536

Mulitple Current Items selected

When accessing the website's root folder, CSS Menu Writer highlights three menu items, "galleries", "on-line viewing" and "blog". None of these are the home page which would/should be the current page. Once a menu item is selected it seems that all is good.

How do I get the current page to select properly when a visitor first accesses the dot com?

Here is my test site:
www.seeitfly.com

Sign in to reply to this post

paulshoe379536

I just looked on IE6 and it's really screwed up there.

neilo

Hiya Paul,

There is a way round the immediate problem (not sure about IE6 - do we still care about IE6? - anyway, we can sort that later through the IE6 conditional stylesheet).

For the moment, if you try each link:

www.seeitfly.com/
index.php

you will see that the first (unspecified 'root') link causes the problem you originally described. The second (page specific) link gives the desired effect.

The way round this would be to rename the 'index.php' to (say) 'home.php', and then have your index.php empty but for a 0 second reirect refresh to 'home.php'.

For instance, I have set this page to redirect to your index.php, so it works as it should.

That may be a good workaround (at least until Ray pops in and points out the obvious).

paulshoe379536

Thanks Neilo,

I thought about that, but I shouldn't need to do a page redirect to get a menu header (or even outside links) to display correctly. There must be another way.

Eric Mittman

It seems that the problem you are experiencing is due to the default document. The code that sets the current page to be highlighted is done via javascript. It looks at the location.href to help determine the page that you are on. Since the name of the page is not present when you browse to the site and get to the default document this functionality has a hard time determining the exact page you are on.

To fix this you can add in a javascript check to see if you the url has the index page specified if you are on the index page. If it is not present in the url you can just set the url location to include the index page.

On your index page in the head section try adding in this code:

<script type="text/javascript">
var urlstr = location.href;
if(urlstr.search("index.php") == -1){
location.href='index.php';
}
</script>

paulshoe379536

thank you Eric... this type of solution works...

doesn't everyone that uses sub-menus have this problem or am I missing something?

Eric Mittman

This is not a problem that I have seen before, I'm not sure if it is server specific or has something to do with the css/js on the pages. When I try the same thing on my local server I do not get any pages highlighted with the default document, then when I visit the index page I see just the home page as highlighted.

If you see this again or on a different site you design or test let us know and we can try to look into the cause a little further.

paulshoe379536

I changed the right and left images that are used for the hover state from PNGs to GIFs. This solved the bad display problem for the main menu line in IE6.

I am still having a problem with the drop-down menu under "galleries" in IE6. Although I have set the width property for the sub-menu items, in IE6 the sub-menu appears as if it is displaying the full width of the div and then blinks down to the preset size as you mouse up and down the sub-menu items. Is there a way I can fix this?

neilo

Hiya Paul,

I can't remember exactly how you had things structured last time I posted here, or exactly what changes you have made recently, but as you know, the IE 6 conditional statement <!--[if lte IE 6]> should redirect to an alternative menu stylesheet which should compensate for some of the quirks in the way that IE6 handles CSS.

At the moment, the IE6 conditional doesn't seem to be being accessed, as the paths to it on your page are faulty (starting with ../). Maybe this is a recent intentional change - if you have put time into sorting it for IE6 using other methods.

These 'faulty' paths - if they have been like that since the beginning - would also mean that the iepngfix.htc - which should solve the .png issues in IE6 - has not been enabled. Your conditional currently looks like this:

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<style type="text/css" media="all">
@import url("../CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu_ie.css");
</style>

<style type="text/css" media="all">
img, div, ul, li, span, a {
behavior: url("../CSSMenuWriter/cssmw_images/iepngfix.htc");
}
</style>

<![endif]-->

It might have been easier to start off utilising the IE6 conditional, and then making any additional changes to the menu_ie.css stylesheet.

paulshoe379536

neilo,

I believe I made the original page and then had Dreamweaver save it as a template. This may have screwed up the pathing. I don't remember specifically changing anything in the conditional IE hack. I think I will delete the menu and start from scratch by entering the menu directly on the template page. Based on your comments, this may solve all problems...

thanks again,

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...