close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Power CMS and linking to other pages?

Thread began 3/26/2010 7:03 pm by Larry | Last modified 4/22/2010 5:31 pm by Eric Mittman | 4328 views | 17 replies |

Larry

Power CMS and linking to other pages?

I have Power CMS 102, HTML Editor 2, and just about every other WebAssist product. Right now I am just concerned with the Power CMS, and the ability to link to other pages within my site.

After I start up the CMS editor and bring up a page with a section I want to edit, I select either an image or some text, I want to create a link to another page in my site, so I click on "insert/edit link", then click on "Browse Server", I am then presented with a page for selecting the link. However, here is where things seem to go wrong. I seem to be only able to select items, (images, pdf's, whatever) that are in the what I think is the "root" directory of Power CMS and the folder that was automatically created "files".

So the path seems to be files/ This does me no good if I want to select a page or other file say from the path store.php or availableDogs.php.

So my question here is how do I point Power CMS so I am able to let some users or myself select files or images as the link to.

My directory is set-up as mysite.com/ then root files, such as index.php, then other folders, and CMS,
mysite.com/CMS.

I think the product that WebAssist creates are good, some of the documentation is lacking, but other than than, excellent products. But if I can't create links or let other users create links, then Power CMS is just not up to par. So again, any and all help would be appreciated.

I have read every post on the Power CMS forum from page 1 through page 16, there are quite a few articles about this same question, I have tried all of them with no success.

Larry

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I think the solution to the problem you are facing is going to be two parts. The first thing is allowing you to select php type of files from the browse server interface. The next thing is setting up the user files path to point to the root of your site. Once this is done you should be able to browse to files on your server to link to them.

To get it so that you can select php file types you will need to configure settings in two places. The first is in the HTMLEditor/fckconfig.js file, you need to add php to the FCKConfig.LinkUploadAllowedExtensions:

FCKConfig.LinkUploadAllowedExtensions	= ".(7z|aiff|asf|avi|bmp|csv|doc|fla|flv|gif|gz|gzip |jpeg|jpg|mid|mov|mp3|mp4|mpc|mpeg|mpg|ods|odt|pdf |png|ppt|pxd|qt|ram|rar|rm|rmi|rmvb|rtf|sdc|sitd|s wf|sxc|sxw|tar|tgz|tif|tiff|txt|vsd|wav|wma|wmv|xl s|xml|zip|php)$" ;

Along with adding it to the allowed types you will also need to remove it from the banned types. This is in the KFM configuration.php file that is located at HTMLEditor > editor > plugins > kfm > configuration.php.

In here you need to find the variable name $kfm_banned_extensions around line 128. In here you need to remove the php entry so that it looks like this:

php:
$kfm_banned_extensions = array('asp','cfm','cgi','php3','php4','php5','phtm','pl','sh','shtm','shtml');

The next part is to set the user files path correctly to point at your root directory. To alter this setting go into HTMLEditor > editor > filemanager > connectors > php > config.php. In here look on line 42 for the $Config['UserFilesPath'] setting. You should try setting this to be blank like this:

php:
$Config['UserFilesPath'] = '';

On the next line this value is updated again, don't worry about making edits to that one.

Give this a try and let us know how it works for you.

Larry

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the suggestions, unfortunately after making the changes, and uploading the changed files, I now get this error:

error: could not create directory "//cms_files". please make sure that / is writable by the server

Any suggestions?

Just in case visiting the live site would help, here is the link, www.pap911rescue.com the link to the CMS is on the right under Members Login. There is a link to CMS Admin. Don't know if you need the login credentials, if you do I can e-mail them to you. At this point, this is the only problem left with the functionality of Power CMS.

Larry

Eric Mittman

I think you are very close to it here. There are two more settings that you should update to fix this part.

Both of these updates are going to be in the HTMLEditor > editor > plugins > kfm > configuration.php file. In here look for the following settings and adjust them like this:

near line 52

php:
$kfm_userfiles_address = '../../../../../../<your webroot folder>';

near line 83

php:
$kfm_workdirectory = '';

Once you set these like this it should be looking in the root of your site for the files when you browse the server. Now you will still get a similar error if you do not have write permissions on this directory. You will need to adjust the permissions on this directory if you get the error about making it writable again.

Larry

Hello again Eric,

It seems as though we might be getting closer to the solution, however now I am getting the error below.

Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 1 in C:\wamp\www\CMS\HTMLEditor\editor\plugins\kfm\initialise.php on line 142

I hope it wouldn't make a difference if I tried this on my testing server at home, but that is what I did. I did get only the error shown above. I have absolutely no idea what that means.

Here is the code that is on line 142 through 146 of the initialise.php file,
if ($kfm_workdirectory[1]=='') {
$workpath = $kfm_workdirectory;
} else {
$workpath = $rootdir.$kfm_workdirectory;
}

Any ideas about this, I sure would be grateful. I am still in the testing phases with the web site so it is not a big rush, although it would be nice to get it sorted out.

Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it.

Larry

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  I think you are very close to it here. There are two more settings that you should update to fix this part.

Both of these updates are going to be in the HTMLEditor > editor > plugins > kfm > configuration.php file. In here look for the following settings and adjust them like this:

near line 52
php:
$kfm_userfiles_address = '../../../../../../<your webroot folder>';

near line 83
php:
$kfm_workdirectory = '';

Once you set these like this it should be looking in the root of your site for the files when you browse the server. Now you will still get a similar error if you do not have write permissions on this directory. You will need to adjust the permissions on this directory if you get the error about making it writable again.  

Eric Mittman

This is strange, my file does not look like this. I have the same lines of code but they differ from yours. Here is what the lines of code in my file look like for these lines:

php:
if ($kfm_workdirectory[0]=='/') {

$workpath = $kfm_workdirectory;
} else {
    $workpath = $rootdir.$kfm_workdirectory;
}

I'm including a copy of my version of the file for you. Make a backup of your file then use this one to test it out and let us know how it goes.

Attached Files
initialise.zip

Larry

Eric, you are one smart individual, and very helpful to the community. This did work, I am now able to browse for any site files to link to, thank you.

One thing though, and this is probably a very easy fix, but it sure escapes me now. When I insert a link to another page on my site, Power CMS wants to enter more code than needed.

When linking to another page, the link always begins with /CMS/files, as in /CMS/files/papbreed/aboutthepapillon.php.

What would I change so that the /CMS/files is not included in the link?

Thank you for all of your help

Larry

php:
if ($kfm_workdirectory[0]=='/') {

$workpath = $kfm_workdirectory;
} else {
    $workpath = $rootdir.$kfm_workdirectory;
}

I'm including a copy of my version of the file for you. Make a backup of your file then use this one to test it out and let us know how it goes.[/QUOTE]

Eric Mittman

This is going to be a limitation of adding in the links like this. It will have a full site relative URL in the link to the file. You could just add in some text for the link then make that text a link rather than just inserting the link by itself. You could also move the files into another folder in the site so that you can control what the links look like.

Larry

Eric, this should be a basic function of CMS, adding links for any page in a website, no matter what folder they are in, as long as all the pages are in the same site, eg.. public_html.

How do I explain to a user that wants to select some text and make it a link, when that user does not know any html at all. I thought that was one of the basic features of a CMS.

So when I login to the admin section of Power CMS, I select a page/area to edit , I enter some text and want to make that text a link to another page in my site. So I click on the insert/edit link icon, then select browse server, I now can browse to any folder inside my public_html folder, so I have the ability to select any page to make the link go to. I double click the page I want to link to. Now back in the link dialog box my link is created, BUT, and this is were this product fails for users that do not know html. The link that is created is to the page that I want, actually, but /CMS/files/ is added to the beginning of the link, like this, /CMS/files/ourdogs.php.

Now a non-technical user doesn't know this is wrong because the file ourdogs.php is one of the files that are in the root folder, a top level page. Therefore this is a serious shortfall in the Power CMS product. It will be just a little difficult to explain to all of the non-technical users how to make sure the link is correct if they have no idea what a correct link looks like.

So, my question is really quite simple, how do I correct this problem of inserting the wrong html link. The CMS product is actually very useful other than this simple lack of basic functionality.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Larry

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  This is going to be a limitation of adding in the links like this. It will have a full site relative URL in the link to the file. You could just add in some text for the link then make that text a link rather than just inserting the link by itself. You could also move the files into another folder in the site so that you can control what the links look like.  

Eric Mittman

This is currently a limitation of the PowerCMS. I have opened a ticket for you on this issue so it can be looked into further. To update your ticket login and visit your support history.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...