close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

SMTP authentication

Thread began 3/25/2010 2:11 am by pardog178052 | Last modified 3/26/2010 12:01 pm by pardog178052 | 3414 views | 12 replies |

pardog178052

SMTP authentication

I always had the same problem with "Universal Email". Only you use "Mail" and "PEAR mail". My clients tend to have shared hosting, so I can not install "PEAR mail". Your mail is protected with SMTP authentication, username and password.
The only solution I have is using components from other companies such as: Dmxzone "Smart Mailer PHP" or Hotdreamweaver "Form to Mail", I may use autentificaión SMTP, username and password without PEAR mail. But hard use with your extensions as eCart. Spends more time than necessary to create a simple send form by mail.

Do you plan to add a solution as do the two extensions that I mentioned in the next future?

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That is not typical even for shared hosting. Where do you host?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

pardog178052

My country is Spain. Europe. All the servers I've tried have not installed Pear mail. In any case I asked if they could install or install and always has denied. So use these two components because they do not need to utentificación Pear mail via SMTP.

Take the example of changing code manually from "Form to mail" Hotdreamweaver:

How can I configure Form2Mail with a different email server and with SMTP authentication?

If you want to use an external mail server, you can do the following:

STEP 1 - Go to Line # 568 and configure the primary Form2Mail.php file to send via SMTP:

var $ Mailer = "mail";

... change by:

var $ Mailer = "smtp";

Note: This first step is required only in a few servers, in most cases Form2Mail automatically detects that the available method is SMTP.

STEP 2 - Go to Line # 38 and put there if your SMTP server address is different than "localhost"

define ( 'smtp_server', 'localhost');

Note: Steps 3 and 4 are required only if your server requires authentication. If authentication is not required, please ignore these steps:

STEP 3 - Go to Line # 42 to activate authentication:

define ( 'USE_SMTP_AUTHENTICATION', false);

... change by:

define ( 'USE_SMTP_AUTHENTICATION', true);

STEP 4 - On the lines # 43 and # 44 put your username and password.

In the case of DMXzone component is already prepared to use the wizard (Attach image)

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Every example I can find on the web for sending emails from a server that requires username and password uses PEAR. I'm not familiar with the technique the component you referenced uses, but if you want to send me a completed page that works for you built with their tool I can analyze what it does diffferently and see if there is a way to incorporate that into universal email.

pardog178052

Searching the Forums, I've finally seen that adding in the "mailformatting_php.php" on line 161 domain endings "es" and "ca", it works.

Attach compressed files of one of the extensions that I use.

Thanks for everything.

Attached Files
Archivos.zip

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What did line 161 look like before you added it? after?

This is what mine looks like now:

$knownDomsPat = "/^(com|net|org|edu|int|mil|gov|arpa|biz|aero|name|coop|info|pro|museum|\w{2,2})$/i";

At the end it already has: "\w{2,2}"

That should cover all two letter domains, including "es", "ca" or any other.... it doesn't make sense that that was the problem unless your line looked different than mine in the first place.... maybe something else you did fixed it?

pardog178052

I have not changed anything, not working, I thought so, but was proof that you have attached and was not "ca" was "cat"

Ray BorduinWebAssist

OK, so now I'm a bit confused.

So you have it working now, but you had to add: "cat" to the list on that line?

Is that correct? Who uses .cat email domains?

pardog178052

Sorry to confuse you.

Yes domains I use .cat email domains

It does not work. Had been tested with the component that does work and I sent in an attachment above. Does not work with yours.

I had confused with the test, your component will not work for me.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Do you have skype contact information I can use to get in touch with you? I would like to debug this with you while screen sharing if possible in order to track down the problem.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...