close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Digital File Pro 2 - fit to box not rescaling to exact width and height

Thread began 5/19/2009 10:17 am by jonathanfever357012 | Last modified 5/20/2012 9:26 am by pedstone | 6001 views | 15 replies |

jonathanfever357012

Digital File Pro 2 - fit to box not rescaling to exact width and height

i had already placed a ticket for this: Technical Support Ticket # 93386

but the technical staff said that the images will only resize porportional. Webassist.com always provides great support and products...

But when i bought this component, on the product page for Digital File Pro 2, advertises under the "Features Tab" and "Complete Feature List"

... Rescale to exact width and height ...

even the help files for Digital File Pro 2 say that fit to box will Rescale to exact width and height ...

How would i achieve the "Rescale to exact width and height" with fit to box?

basically so the image rescales/resizes to an exact width and height ... it may not be proportional but it should resize to exact width and height.

thank you for any help? is any one else having this issue?

P.S. we

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

We didn't expose this option because we thought it would be so uncommon. Fit to box always keeps the dimensions in tact and fills in with the bg color so the resulting image is the correct size and not distorted.

I will add a feature request to add a "Stretch to box" option like you need.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

jonathanfever357012

Thanks for the fast reply

Thanks for the fast reply! I appreciate it... Awesome

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What is the use case for this? Why would you want the image distorted to fit the box? I'm trying to make a case for adding this to the extension and I can't really imagine why you would want that over the properly scaled image. Do you have an example of the context or can you describe why you are doing this exactly?

fragop363190

Why don't you give it fixed height and width? isn't the same thing from stretching it?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Our interface actually doesn't allow it. You can choose either fixed width, fixed height, or fit to box. You can't fix both the width and the height. We were trying to come up with a logical use for stretching to fit a box and couldn't think of one... that is why I was hoping you could explain why and where this technique makes sense.

jonathanfever357012

many uses for galleries

there are many uses for an image thumb to be resized to a fixed width and height when creating various galleries. Because if that gallery or slideshow is within a fixed area, like a header in a website... its best to have control of the size of the thumbs so it doesn't break apart the layout.

for example... the link below is a jquery gallery that i modified with a back end using web assist products:

index.php

there are numerous amounts of galleries that have thumbnails at fixed width and height. Slideshow Pro for example, other flash, and jquery galleries:

jquery example (note that the thumbs are fixed width and height)

slideshow/

this way it can give the web designer/developer more control of layout. I basically can take any gallery flash or javascript and make backend which gives the user the ability to upload any image, and have that image resize to the fixed width and height... and then it will preview in place without breaking apart the layout. Depending on the gallery, some thumnails are proportional, and some are not.

I could just set the IMG tag with attributes of width and height. But sometimes the output isn't a IMG tag on the page ... it could be flash.

so basically i would need that functionality so i create a backend for any gallery, and be able to resize proportional or NOT proportional...

i hope that helped clear things up... thank you!!!

fragop363190

Jonathan in a Gallery you care for the image not to be STRETCHED since the thumbnail or image if stretched will be ruined.

That is where the FIT TO BOX is used for. It is specific so it keeps an image to specific boundaries without tampering with the photos quality.

If you stretch an image by defining width/height you might end with a totaly ruined photo (check it in DW, just insert an image and give it random width and height (in the html tage if u use CS4).

What you want is exactly FIT TO BOX and not to stretch your photos.
I hope you understand why.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Fit to box does seem like the better option in your use case.

jonathanfever357012

equally spacing of multi-column image display

Thanks for the reply and help!

In my testing ... i have used and tried fit to box... but it is always proportional.

It is the same as "fixed width and height" (which is also proportional, but adds the fill color)

All rescale options are always proportional:

# Rescale to maximum width and height
# Rescale to exact width and height
# Rescale to fit width
# Rescale to fit height

But there are times when working with galleries that you would want a thumbnails to be an exact width and height based on the layout of your website. Even if it is NOT proportional, the thumbnail is so small it wont matter. The point of having the image exact width and height (stretch to fit) is so the layout is not broken by different size images.

Because a portrait image (longer height, shorter width) or landscape image (longer width, shorter height) will both resize differently when using fit to box.

example 1:

test.html

Both were resized to fit to box, but when in a layout on a website, this would mess up spacing and positioning, because one is longer in width and the other is longer in height.

This would make a multi cloumn layout break, due to improper spacing, and would not float correctly (css floats). That is why when making a catalog (results page), the thumbnails are a specif width and height.

So when they are listed in a multi-column view, the products, or gallery thumbnails can be displayed equally, without breaking apart the layout.

Example 2:

jonny_gallery.php?s_thumbsCatID=1

Notice that the left column has the images exact width and height (stretch to fit) so the thumbs can be displayed in columns and rows that are evenly spaced?

This is why it would be good to have a stretch to fit feature, so no matter what the gallery or image creation it could be accomplished using your great product: Digital File Pro 2.

Thanks again!!!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...