close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

PowerStore/Gallery/CMS License changed to single domain?

Thread began 3/19/2010 7:27 am by zaphod | Last modified 3/19/2010 12:48 pm by biz295654 | 1774 views | 8 replies |

zaphod

PowerStore/Gallery/CMS License changed to single domain?

Has my memory failed me, or did these products all used to be multiple domain products?

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This is correct. They were released as single domain, then the license was opened to allow multiple domains. It was just recently changed back to a single domain license.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

zaphod

the comedic

Thanks Ray. What happens with installs that have already been made on multiple domains? And where does this leave people who purchased one version under one license when it comes to upgrades?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

We can't change the license for something after you purchase, so what you purchased still belongs to you under the license you agreed to when purchasing it.

Upgrades will now have to be purchased per-domain.... Let me take a step back and explain what led to this... An ISP purchased the powerstore and started offering it to anyone that hosted with them for $3. With the old license, this is kind of against it, but it kind of allowed it as well. Our lawyers described it as a "grey area" that would need litigation to resolve. We don't really want that.

People were already complaining that competing with a webassist $300 solution made their $2000 price-tag look bad. Imagine now competing with every ISP offering it for free. That is the long term possibility we couldn't afford, and would destroy any value our solutions have for our customers as well.

zaphod

Many thanks for the explanation Ray, it's much appreciated.

(Perhaps there could be some middle ground here? One of the reasons some of our developer clients went with PowerStore was due to the multi-domain nature of it, and our recommendation was also partly due to that. Maybe 5 domains? I can see there'd be slightly extra license management involved, but only slightly)

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I think we could certainly consider selling solution packs in 1,3,6,10 license packs for a drastically reduced price.

Someone could still get the single license, but could also get a 6 pack for somewhere around 2X the price of a single installation. That might work and keep the ISP situation from occurring again. I'll suggest that to our head of sales.

biz295654WebAssist

And white label please! :-)

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What specifically is it that you would expect in a white label version?

Is it the feedback link that goes to webassist you want removed? The footer scripts powered by webassist link? It seems they could be removed pretty easily by hand, but I have seen this request a few times lately, so I'd like to understand fully where the white labeling becomes a problem?

biz295654WebAssist

Yes, become invisible to our clients. I ran into this with the powergallery, and mentioned it to your staff. He wanted to call you up and ask you questions! I told him since I purchased it, not him, he'd not get very far. I can see where this could be a hassle for both of us. I didn't charge him for the gallery, so it wasn't a matter of him finding out how much it was. I just want to manage my clients. Thanks so much for all you create. It's appreciated.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...