close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Template changes

Thread began 3/10/2010 9:50 pm by a2d | Last modified 3/11/2010 2:30 pm by Jimmy Wu | 1048 views | 3 replies |

a2d

Template changes

I looked through 8 pages of the powerstore tech support and didn't see an answer to my question.

I want to update the main.dwt and admin.dwt template files via dreamweaver cs4, but when I save these changes the normal do you want to update all pages is not popping up. I thought it could be b/c pages were read only. I tried uploading and installing again after making all pages writable and it still did not update any pages other than the template pages.

I have been practicing on the powerstore3 so I can do things for myself, clients and friends sites without having any issues.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here so when I make a change to the main.dwt or admin.dwt files and save them that all other pages associated will change as well. I'm 99% positive I was able to do this in a previous testing of powerstore, but in the last 5 I have been unsuccessful. It's getting frustrating so I figured I would finally ask.

I do have these files in a subdomain folder on my godaddy hosting account. I tried it while in a folder such as:

ftsc/store/(all the powerstore files)

ftsc/(all powerstore files)

Both instances would not update any other pages. I know it should be updating and am missing something. Can someone catch my miss quickly and help me out.

[UPDATE] I am able to update 1 page at a time after changing a template, i.e. main.dwt by opening a page that has this attached, clicking modify and update current page. It does not however update all pages even when clicked (it does give me the pop up to start updating and it looks as if it is, but it does not).

Thanks,
Ernie

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

Is the site you defined local to your machine or are the files only on the server and you connect to them directly? If you don't have the files on your local machine, try copying the files to a local directory and defining a site for that directory, then make the changes.

a2d

My Error...resolved.

Jimmy, thank you. My problem was that I didn't update the files back to my local from the server after installing PS3.

The steps:

Before uploading I right clicked on the PS3 folder and unchecked Read-Only and applied to all folders, subfolders and files.

1. I uploaded the PS3 file via FileZilla to my hosting account and installed a new copy of PS3 to my hosting account.
2. I successfully installed PS3 via the install
3. I then downloaded the PS3 files after being installed from my hosting account back to overwrite over the local files.
4. Opened Dreamweaver CS4 and opened main.dwt and made a change.
5. Saved all and received the pop up box to update all pages which made the changes on all main pages at once.

Thanks again Jimmy.

Jimmy Wu

Great to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. If you run into any additional issues, feel free to open a new thread.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...