close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

User Registration Solution Pack

Thread began 3/04/2010 7:22 pm by Gizza372666 | Last modified 4/05/2010 12:39 pm by Eric Mittman | 4830 views | 25 replies |

yiannis_ntizoglou372666

User Registration Solution Pack

Hi,
I can't receive an email when I try to register.
The data goes into the database but as a new register I can't receive an email and therefore I am unable to activate my account.
Can you please let me know how to fix this?
After doing some research on the forum I found that some other people had the same problem with the .co.uk extensions as well and I didn't saw any solutions for this problem either.
My website is based in UK and .co.uk domain names are very popular.
Can you please let me know how to overcome this problem?
Thanks
PS when I request my password, I do receive an email with my password but again I can't logon as I need to activate my account by receiving an automatic email which I am unable to receive for some reason.
Looking forward for your solution

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

If you can get the password email you should not have any problems getting the verification email unless there was something going on at the time you registered. To check on this login and go to your profile, if you are unverified you should have an option to verify at the bottom of this page. Click on the button and an email will be sent to you for verification. Please give this a try and let us know if you continue to have problems with this so we can check into it with you.

Gizza372666

Problem with the Emails

Hi,
I still have the same problem.
I have tried everything.
The user is unable to receive an email and therefor he/she is unable to complete the registration.
Once I try to register by selecting the register button, the data goes into the database but it doesn't redirect me to another page (still on the users_Registration.php but all fields are blank).
I downloaded a fresh copy of the zip folder from webasist, I extracted the files, changed the database and the global settings but I still have the same problem.
can you please send me a private message so I can give you the hosting login details so you can have a look?
Thanks

Eric Mittman

Thanks for the updated info. I was able to register and login without issue. I was then able to enter the wrong password and got the forgot password email to be sent.

I did not see any reference on the profile page for the verification email. Did you remove this part or alter the existing pages in any way? The verification email should be send when the user registers using very similar code to the forgot password page. Since the password is being sent the verification email should also be sent but I do not see a tie in for the verification on the profile page.

Please post back with some info about how you have this setup, a copy of your registration page in a zip archive would also help. I will take a look and let you know what I find.

Gizza372666

hi Eric

Can you please send me an email so I can send you the ftp details so you can see the files?

Gizza372666

I found a solution but i don't know if it will affect other pages.

<?php
if ((($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST") && (isset($_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"]) && strpos(urldecode($_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"]), urldecode($_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].$_SERVER["PHP_SELF"])) > 0) && isset($_POST))) {
//WA Universal Email object="mail"
//Send Loop Once Per Entry
$RecipientEmail = "".((isset($_POST["UserEmail"]))?$_POST["UserEmail"]:"") ."";include("WA_Universal_Email/WAUE_users_Registration_1.php");

//Send Mail All Entries
if ("users_ThankYou.php"!="") {
header("Location: users_ThankYou.php");
}
}
?>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the above code remove the following.

&& (isset($_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"]) && strpos(urldecode($_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"]), urldecode($_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].$_SERVER["PHP_SELF"])) > 0) && isset($_POST)))

The final code will be:

<?php
if (($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST")) {
//WA Universal Email object="mail"
//Send Loop Once Per Entry
$RecipientEmail = "".((isset($_POST["UserEmail"]))?$_POST["UserEmail"]:"") ."";include("WA_Universal_Email/WAUE_users_Registration_1.php");

//Send Mail All Entries
if ("users_ThankYou.php"!="") {
header("Location: users_ThankYou.php");
}
}
?>

Now it works but I don't know if it will affect any other pages.
Can you please advise?

Eric Mittman

If you make this change you are just updating the trigger to be 'same page post' to be 'any page post'. This will make the page send the email whenever a page posts info to it. You should add in another condition to this if statement to check for the register button being pressed, it might look like this:

php:
<?php

if (($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST") && (isset($_POST['Register'])?$_POST['Register']:"" != "")) {

Gizza372666

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  If you make this change you are just updating the trigger to be 'same page post' to be 'any page post'. This will make the page send the email whenever a page posts info to it. You should add in another condition to this if statement to check for the register button being pressed, it might look like this:

php:
<?php

if (($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST") && (isset($_POST['Register'])?$_POST['Register']:"" != "")) {

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I just replaced this line:

if (($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST")){

---------------------------------------------------------
with this one:
if (($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST") && (isset($_POST['Register'])?$_POST['Register']:"" != "")) {
---------------------------------------------------------

When I press submit, the information goes into the db but then I am still on the registration page and the user doesn’t' receive any emails either which means that the user is unable to activate his/her account.
Can you please explain further, make it more clear what will happen if I use just this line:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if (($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST")){
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Give me an example/scenario)
Also do you have any explanation why when I replace the above code with this one:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if (($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST") && (isset($_POST['Register'])?$_POST['Register']:"" != "")) {
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The register will be unable to receive the confirmation email and also will be unable to redirect to the ‘users_ThankYou.php’ page?
Looking forward for your reply

Eric Mittman

There is no problem really with using the method == post trigger, it just means that if I had my own page on my site and set the action of the form to this page on your site and set the method to post I will trigger the server behavior. There is no check to confirm that the user on the page initiated the post.

If you are getting a proper result and feel ok with using just the check for post then that should be fine. The reason I suggested this additional condition was to check to see if the register button was pressed. It should post an element with the name of the submit button and it should be set to whatever you specify as the value for the submit button. Are you testing this with Internet Explorer? If so it could account for the message not getting sent with the updated code. There is a problem when submitting forms via images sometimes in IE and the name of the element will not be passed as part of the post.

If you are experiencing this issue the way to resolve it and use the check for Register posting is to add a new hidden form element to your form and give it the same name as the button and set it's value like this:

html:
<input type="hidden" name="Register" id="Register" value="1"/>

If you have trouble using this additional check for register posting then it might be best for you to just check for post.

Gizza372666

user registration

I keep finding problems.
no matter if the user has confirm his/her email they are still able to login.
I need to only give access to people who have confirmed their email.
when they register, they receive an email which when they select the email will change the UserEmailVerified value to 1.
so far so good
but my problem now is that at the moment anyone can login
Can you please tell me the location and the code I need to add in order to disallow access to registers who haven't confirmed their email.

Pseudocode:
if UserEmailVerified=1 && username = username && password = password
then
access allow

else

access not allow
echo "please check your emails";

I have removed a small part of the code from the loging page because it will not allow users to receive the confirmation email (the same problem I had on my first post):
-------------------------------------------------
&& (isset($_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"]) && strpos(urldecode($_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"]), urldecode($_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].$_SERVER["PHP_SELF"])) > 0) && isset($_POST))
-------------------------------------------------
here is my login page which works fine apart the access control problem:
users_LogIn.txt
looking forward hearing from you.
I think that after this I will manage to complete my project.
Thanks in advance.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...