close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

exif iptc extraction with dfp

Thread began 3/02/2010 5:35 pm by contact318852 | Last modified 3/05/2010 9:26 am by Les Crowley | 5294 views | 9 replies |

contact318852

exif iptc extraction with dfp

Just out of curiosity can anyone recommend or point me toward a good tutorial or site that can provide a script that will read keyword from jpgs uploaded through digital file pro?

cheers

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

Can you specify what exactly you want it to do?... meaning are you looking for a script to extract the keyword from EXIF data to, say, store it in a database - or - are you just wanting to view the information from your desktop client?

Regards,

Brian

contact318852

exif

Hi Brian,

Thanks for taking note.

This script would be for a php mysql web application and would read the metadata; specifically keywords, caption, and title from jpgs and populate the database with that information.

i would want it to work with an exisitng upload form, but also be able to process a folder of files uplaoded via ftp.

cheers

anonymous

Let me take a look around and talk to some folks that may have a good answer for this as far as an actual pre-built script.

You will have to do a bit of hand coding, though, to get this to work the way I am thinking.

My thought is you could add to the upload and database action before the redirect occurs where after an image is uploaded, it then gets passed to the script to extract the data and store them into variables - and then you would have to handcode in an additional update query to add the data back into the table.

This can be done - but it will be a complex structure that will probably involve some trial and error.

For stuff that you have FTP'd up, it would be similar where you would create a page (in your admin) to run in the browser after uploading the files. The method here, though, would involve using the PHP scandir command to get the list of all files and then you would need to use a command such as getimagewidth against all the files to determine if they were images. After detemrine if they were images by using a simple "if" statement, you could then pass them through a loop of the extraction script and like before - store the extracted data in variables and add them to the database.

I will see what I can dig up on a script... you may even have to write the script from scratch but I think that is also accomplish-able with PHP commands.

Regards,

Brian

anonymous

Have you had a look at this yet: book.exif.php

I also found this toolkit which was released under the GNU license: index.html

This script also looks like it could do everything you would want and more: exif.php

Best regards,

Brian

contact318852

Thanks Brian,

I did come across those two initial links, but the zenphoto script is something new to me.

Thank you for your pointers on progressing with this. It is a bit above my learning curve - but Ill give it a try.

anonymous

Give it a try on some of the coding... I will be around tonight and tomorrow, so if you get to some hang-ups, post the code and I might be able to help out with some ideas.

Brian

contact318852

Well this is interesting indeed, Im greatful for your suggestion about zenphoto, I installed the entire application, it has ftp upload functions and reads all the metadata, I can use it as my 'admin image backend' - pretty darn cool

anonymous

I'm glad it worked for you. I, too, thought it looked really cool and started messing around with it. I am going to try to write some functions from using some of the code in it and hope to be able to add a few snippets into my Digital File Pro behaviors to give it a little more power.

Regards

Les CrowleyBeta Tester

Hi Brain,

Thanks for the links on EXIF. A while back I wanted to extract the meta data from images and then was sidetracked with another project and never got back to it. Your links put it back in the forefront for me and have given me something useful to work with. Good stuff!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...