close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Problem with Level 1 spacing?

Thread began 3/02/2010 2:46 am by Nathon Jones Web Design | Last modified 3/08/2010 4:23 pm by Eric Mittman | 2487 views | 8 replies |

Nathon Jones Web Design

Problem with Level 1 spacing?

Hi. I'm struggling with an odd spacing issue with my Level 1 navigation items (under Events Guide):
index.asp

The left column is 255px wide, and CSS MenuWriter's width attribute is the same, with no margins specified on left or right, yet I seem to have about a 20 pixel gap between my main navigation and level 1 navigation - IE8 & Firefox.

I've rebuilt the menu, to no avail, and just can't see (the wood from the trees probably) what's causing the gap. Hope someone can help. Thank you.

Much appreciated.
Nath.

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

You could just make an adjustment to the left margin (-35px) and perhaps add a left border (solid 1px #CCC), the css would end up as:

ul#cssmw ul.level-1 > li > span > a {
background-color: #005A00;
background-image: none;
border-style: none;
border-top: solid 1px #540300;
color: #FFFFFF;
display: block;
font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size: 16px;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
height: 34px;
line-height: 20px;
margin: 0px 0px 1px -35px;
border-left: solid 1px #CCC;
padding: 10px 0px 0px 20px;
text-align: left;
text-decoration: none;
width: 255px;
}

Nathon Jones Web Design

Hi Neilo.

Thanks, I'll try that later on.
Any idea why it's throwing this gap in though?

Nath.

neilo

Hi Nathon,

No - not without building a similarly styled menu in CSS MB.

If you make an adjustment to the width while you are building the menu, if often seems that you have to think to make a margin adjustment - even if it is displaying correctly in the preview window. I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour or if I'm repeatedly making the same mistake!

Nathon Jones Web Design

fixed

Hi Neilo. I tried the -35px (did you guess that?) and that's worked, although I chose -34px to leave a 1 pixel gap between the main and level 1:
www.ceilidhculture.co.uk/

I'm confused by the whole thing though. Why is it putting a 35px gap between my main and level 1 navigation?

Thanks again for the advice.
Regards
Nath.

neilo

Hi Nathon,

No - no guesswork! I used Firebug (a Firefox add-in) to see what margin would work.

I don't know why it put the gap there; did you change the width of the top level menu while designing it in the CSSMenuWriter interface? If you did, did the sub-levels look right in the preview?

I haven't always found the preview to be too reliable, even when I remember to press the 'update' button.

Nathon Jones Web Design

reliability

Sometimes, in preview, entire levels go missing - I've learnt to just put up with that, to be honest.

There were some changes to the menu's width, aye, and even a rebuild at one stage (it had me that stumped!). I guess something's gone wonky somewhere it's just a shame that CSS Menu Writer isn't picking up on it and I have to "cheat" it in the way I've just done.

Thanks for the help.
Nath.

grgsr

Similar Problem on Horizontal Nav Region

I too have tried to change the box width on menu and I end up with spacing between the level 1 menu buttons. I am trying to place the menu in the horizontal menu editable region NOT the side column like the previous complaint.

Any suggestions? Seems like a bug in the program..........

Thanks,
grgsr

Eric Mittman

What are the exact steps you are taking to adjust the width and what is the result you are getting? If there is a problem with the tool I will need to know what steps to take to reproduce the issue. Once I can get the issue to occur we can investigate the problem further and help to provide a work around in possible.

Please post back with some info on the steps you are taking to make the edits and the result that you are getting with them.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...