close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Product Master Categories and CSS alteration?

Thread began 3/01/2010 4:13 pm by carlene | Last modified 4/08/2010 10:28 am by Dani Chankhour | 3752 views | 14 replies |

carleneBeta Tester

Product Master Categories and CSS alteration?

Hello!

I have a few customization questions for someone. I am trying to get my store to have the colors of my website rather than the WebAssist blue.

You can find my store here: store/

Question #1)
Is it possible (easily) to have the Category master category display ALL of the selections in the subcategories as well. For example: In my store I have a category called Puppets, and a sub- category called Stage Puppets. When I click on the Puppets category - NOTHING is displayed. One has to click on the Stage Puppets sub category to see the products. Why can't these products display under the master category as well as the subcategory? One would think if you clicked on Puppets you would see all puppets available, then if you clicked on Stage Puppets, only the Stage Puppets would show. It seems counterintuitive.

Question #3) I have been altering the CSS in my store. But cannot figure out for the life of me where to change the color of the product navigation on the left if you've selected a product. It keeps coming up WebAssist blue. I have spent a lot of time reverse engineering this CSS - anyone found this line yet - according to my FireBug it resides here:

element.style {
background-color:#3375A2;
border-top:0 none;
color:white;
}

But no document info is given for which CSS file that code can be found in. Anyone know where I find this in the CSS to change the background color? I even did a search for that code - and it came up with nothing, I'm very stumped.

Thanks!

Carlene

Sign in to reply to this post

Dani Chankhour

To solve you first question, in the admin product update page, just make sure you select the Puppets and Stage Puppets, so clicking the Puppets category will show all categories.

For your second question, the left navigation is done dynamically and the color is being applied dynamically. so to change those colors, look in the main template and if you look around line 165 you could see that colors you need to change.

Let me know if you still have any other questions.

carleneBeta Tester

Dani,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I'll admit - I usually don't use Dreamweaver templates, so am a bit more unfamiliar with how they work. Is there some sort of include I'm missing as well. I changed the background color as well as the footer on the Main.dwt.php page and uploaded it to my server. But I'm not seeing the background color change on my site. ? Is there somewhere else I'm missing?

And could you please explain how the structure works for these templates. I thought that if you changed the master template then the other pages would follow - but perhaps I'm missing that.

Also - if I wanted to add something to the product pages template - what page would I go to for that. (I'm going to add additional image fields to my database and customize the page by binding the new database fields.) Would that be Products_Detail.php?

And then last but not least I'm now getting a warning on my Dreamweaver that says:

"The definition for this eCart object was not found. Please be sure that it is in the WA_eCart folder off of the site root."

???? Help?

dennis372614

Editing background colors!

Why not use Theme It for Power Store from Web Assist! Good price right now at $39.99!

Dani Chankhour

Great Idea dennis372614.

carlene,

The way template works is you update the template page, and then when you have DW will ask you if you want to update the other pages. You should click Yes. To see the update, you should only update the other site pages to your server, you should not upload the template page.

for your second question, if you are planning to update the product results or the product detail page, you will first need to update the product insert page in the admin to add your new fields.

In regard to the waring, it looks like you have powerstore in a subfolder. What you need to do is create a new site in DW, and set the root of the site to be the root of the PowerStore folder so the WA_eCart folder is in the root of your new site.

let me know if you still have any questions.

msjj000Beta Tester

Thanks Dani and Dennis,

This post has been very helpful. I've used a combination of theme it and altering the main template.

Mark.

carleneBeta Tester

Ok - I now have my site as a new site and the store is the root. Now what? I'm not getting a request to update templates? Should I just change Main.dwt.php? Nothing changes when I upload this still. What am I missing?

Once again - I'm trying to alter the left navigation and the bottom copyright notice of all of the subpages of my site.

Dani Chankhour

I'm not sure why you are not getting "Update Template Files" dialog from DW, but as a test, open the index.php in the root of your site and change the copy right and upload the index page and see if you see any changes.

In regard to changing the left navigation color, you will need to update this line of code:

div.style.cssText = "background-color:#3375A2; color: white; border-top:0px;";

which is in the Main.dwt.php file in the Templates folder.

Let me know if you still have any other questions.

lucyland

Carlene, I had issues with not seeing changes made in Main.dwt.php and then discovered that you had to save and upload all of the files using Main.dwt.php such as cart.php, products_details.php, etc... Painful, yes, and a Dreamweaver issue.

carleneBeta Tester

Lucyland,

WOW! Thank you so much! That is what fixed it. And thanks so much for your help as well Dani. I have uploaded the pages and now the changes have been taken and I'm on my way to uploading all of my products in my store!

I'm trying to add a lightbox slideshow (shadowbox to be precise) for more product photos and I'm going to add a few fields to the products database and have to bind them so that they show the additional images in the products detail pages as well.

Dani -
Would I just add the Lightbox css and javascript scripting to the Main.dwt.php head and then the Lightbox links to the Products_detail.php editable regions? Or can I actually link additional outside javascript and css documents to the head of the Main.dwt.php template as well?

I'm trying to get the image to lightbox to behave similarly to the one on this site that I created: handpuppet_detail.php?item_no=2568=

I'm sure there will be more questions as I had to tweak the PHP of the site above so that the SEO would be optimized and each product page would show up in Google. Don't know if you guys have tested PowerStore for that yet.

Thanks!

Carlene

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...