close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Styles not showing up in list.

Thread began 2/24/2010 9:22 am by Mikel Jones | Last modified 3/26/2010 10:26 am by Ray Borduin | 5734 views | 13 replies |

Mikel Jones

Styles not showing up in list.

I went through the forum and found all the threads I could on how to set up the editor so it will show my custom css styles in the drop down list of the editor.

I have already done the following...

I went into the fckeditor.html file and removed the following line so my styles would show up correctly in the editor.
// <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="public">

I can edit content areas and the data saves to the db and shows on my page correctly now.
I set up the editor so I can have images uploaded and they show up correctly in the editor and on the page now.
I edited the css style file and put several styles I want to display in the editor in the drop down list. I also removed the red and blue styles that were in there already.

I went into the wizzard and configured the editor so it would see my css file...

Editor Preset >> Customize >> Styling tab

I then set the Editor css = [my css file]
Body class = [my body style]
I then selected all the styles listed in the edit box and clicked ok.
I saved the style as a preset and clicked ok twice to exit the wizzard.

File data from the edtor config files...

cmstest.php

<?php
// WebAssist iRite: Rich Text Editor for Dreamweaver
$WARichTextEditor_1 = CreateRichTextEditor ("RapierSoftContent", "../../HTMLEditor/", "945px", "600px", "Default", "../custom/cmstest_RapierSoftContent1.js", "");
?>

cmstest_RapierSoftContent1.js

FCKConfig.XMLFullName = 'RapierSoft';
FCKConfig.XMLFileName = 'RapierSoft.xml';

Where is this RapierSoft.xml file located? I could not find it on my system...
Also, what is the file for? What is it supposed to contain?

The relative paths are correct and the following files exist.

FCKConfig.EditorAreaCSS = '../../_css/CMS/cms_syle.css';
FCKConfig.BodyClass = 'BodyText';
FCKConfig.StylesXmlPath = '../custom/contents_update_RapiersoftContentStyles1.xml';

The xml file shows the correct styles but not the div definitions...

contents_update_RapiersoftContentStyles1.xml

<Styles>
<style name="BodyText" element="span" >
<Attribute name="class" value="BodyText" />
</style>
<style name="Headline" element="span" >
<Attribute name="class" value="Headline" />
</style>
<style name="SubHeader" element="span" >
<Attribute name="class" value="SubHeader" />
</style>
</Styles>

The HTML Editor is found at: HTMLEditor/

When I go to the page...

cmstest.php

The only style that shows up in the list is the old "red" style and it is not even listed in the xml or css file anymore as I have already removed it.

What am I doing wrong?

And while I have you here...

Can you point me at some information that shows how to set up custom divs in the format drop down and div insert dialog?

I would like to have some pre formated divs in the list when I insert a div so I can just select the div type from the list provided. The only way I can get a custom div to show up now is to add the div style to the css file and then hand type in the advanced settings div ID when I create the div. No div styles so up in the div style list at all currently.

Sign in to reply to this post

Dani Chankhour

every thing you have done seems to be correct, but mostly it is the issue of how you have the site set up. You need to have the site set up at the root of your CMS folder, otherwise when you made the update to the HTMLEditor, it created another HTMLEditor folder at the root of your site, instead of at the root of your CMS Folder.

Mikel Jones

Confused...

Originally Said By: Dani Chankhour
  every thing you have done seems to be correct, but mostly it is the issue of how you have the site set up. You need to have the site set up at the root of your CMS folder, otherwise when you made the update to the HTMLEditor, it created another HTMLEditor folder at the root of your site, instead of at the root of your CMS Folder.  

Note: I own the HTMLEditor and have all the other WebAssist Dreamweaver Extensions.

I created a new page on my site then with the HTMLEditor Extension for Dreamweaver inserted a (NEW) HTMLEditor on that new page. Next I went in and set up the css styles file for it and made the edits to the editor for styles I already described.

Note: That's why I wrote into the HTMLEditor forum instead of the CMS forum. This has nothing to do with CMS except that the page I set up for this test is in a CMS folder. The page is not connected with CMS in any way.

You are correct, the HTMLEditor that the extension created is in the root folder. My understanding is that this is correct behavior for the HTMLEditor extension. It SHOULD have nothing to do with the CMS system and should be located in the root folder. Also, the folder location of the file I inserted the HTMLEditor into should not be a factor.

If I insert a new HTMLEditor on a page and set it up for styles, it should work correctly right?

Mikel Jones

See my next post...

Mikel Jones

Default setup and blank site, still nothing.

OK, there is definitly a bug here somewhere...

I went through and deleted EVERY instance of any code on my site that had anything to do with the HTMLEditor. The HTMLEditor folder, and all site files that had any refs to the editor in them.

Then I created a new page and used the extension to insert a new editor on the page.
I set up the styles to point to my css file following the getting started guide for the editor to the letter and used the defaults for everything except the styles.

Nothing, no styles, nada, zip. Love that "Red Text" style.

HTMLEditor_test.php

Note: If the HTMLEditor extension can't insert a new editor on a page using the default settings with the only change being styles applied from a css file that i'm using on other pages and that dreamweaver says is formated correctly...

It's kind of broken isn't it?

- Mikel

Mikel Jones

Can I get a support ticket opened on this or something as I'm blocked on using the HTMLEditor for customers usless I can get custom styles and formats working.

- Mkel

neilo

In the first few lines of your HTMLEditor_test_NewTest1.js file

// Custom configuration for iRite
FCKConfig.XMLFullName = 'NewTest';
FCKConfig.XMLFileName = 'NewTest.xml';
FCKConfig.SkinPath = 'skins/silver/'; // relative to fckeditor/editor/fckeditor.html
FCKConfig.DocType = '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">';

I would expect to see '(custom)'; as the value for the third line, i.e. :

// Custom configuration for iRite
FCKConfig.XMLFullName = 'Advanced Manager Enabled (custom)';
FCKConfig.XMLFileName = '(custom)';
FCKConfig.SkinPath = 'skins/silver/'; // relative to fckeditor/editor/fckeditor.html
FCKConfig.DocType = '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">';

Try using the 'Advanced Manager Enabled' preset in the HTMLEditor Quick Insert and then make any changes to the toolbars, adding your styles etc. from there.

Also (from a query in an earlier post) you can't use div (#mydiv) styles in the custom stylesheet, but you can duplicate the those rules in your stylesheet as classes (.myclass) and those will be available.

Mikel Jones

Happy guy.

That got it!

I did some more testing on this and here is what I found...

You have at least two bugs with the HTMLEditor.

Bug #1) If you have set the initial content to anything other than an empty string, when you change any settings on the editor with the wizard you will be reset to an empty string for initial content.

Bug #2) If you want custom styles to show up in the styles list of the editor you cannot save your settings as a preset. The minute you check "save as preset" and give them a name you will loose your styles.

I inserted a new editor on a blank page, used the advanced manager options preset as you told me to and then set my styles up.
They correctly displayed in the list after I updated the site.

I then went back in and made no changes other than to save the settings as a preset.
They no longer showed in the list after updating the site.

From this I gather that the editor will not load your custom styles css file if you save your settings as your own named preset.

If I were your dev team I would take a good long look at this HTMLEditor as it seems to have a few issues.

Well, it works for me now so what the heck. :)

Thanks for all the help!

Note: I took your advise and set my div styles up as classes and they show up fine in the styles list too. Thanks!

Oh yea, if you guys have a beta test list for clients willing to beta test new products, feel free to add me to it. I'm a sr. software engineer with 35 years experience working for MS, Sun, etc. now working at my own company doing web development. I would be happy to help you all test your products while working on my site development.

- Mikel

neilo

Cheers Mikel, glad you finally got there.

One thing that threw me for a while - it may not be the same for everyone - is that I had to clear my browser cache before the changes showed up.

Dani Chankhour

Thanks neilo for your help.

Mikel Jones,

i was able to reproduce the issue you reported in bug 2 and logged it as a bug in our bug base and we should include a fix for it in our next dot release.

However, i was not able to reproduce the issue you reported in bug 1. Could you tell me what Platform you are using and the DW version you are using?

Thanks.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...