close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Cannot uncheck checkbox and submit

Thread began 2/22/2010 6:03 pm by WilliFixit | Last modified 2/24/2010 11:51 am by WilliFixit | 2737 views | 9 replies |

WilliFixit

Cannot uncheck checkbox and submit

Hi,

I added a checkbox to a form using CSSFB. The form works ok and posts, then emails (using WA_UE) but won't work when the checkbox is unchecked.

Help!

Please see http://willadamsphoto.com/Copy_of_contact.php

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hi Will,

You have an asterisk by the checkbox, is it a required field? (I would have thought it would have to be optional for a newsletter sign-up?)

WilliFixit

First I tried it not required, and then required. Either way, it forced me to check to box to continue. The test page I referred to was required, but I reset it to not required. You will see the same behavior. See screenshot.

neilo

I think you should just remove all validation from the checkbox. The only bits you need to keep are the bits in blue below: The grey bits you don't need:

<div class="lineGroup">
<div class="fullColumnGroup">
<label for="Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter" class="sublabel" >Get updates/newsletter:
<span class="requiredIndicator">&nbsp;*</span></label>

<div class="errorGroup">
<div class="fieldPair">
<div class="fieldGroup">
<span id="Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter_Spry">
<label class="checklabel" for="Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter" onblur="hideServerError('Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter_ServerError');">
<input type="checkbox" name="Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter" id="Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter" value="1" class="formCheckboxField_Standard" checked="checked" tabindex="3" />
</label>

<span class="checkboxRequiredMsg"> </span> </span>

</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

You should also remove the spry checkbox Validation widget from the bottom of the page:

var Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter_Spry = new Spry.Widget.ValidationCheckbox("Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter_Spry",{validateOn:["blur"]});//--&gt;

If you have a WA server validation on your page referring to the checkbox, you will need to remove that too, it would be near the start of the page that look like:

$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidateRQ(((isset($_POST["Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter"]))?$_POST["Contact_WillAdamsPhoto_com_group_Get_updates_newsletter"]:"") . "",false,1);

neilo

Let me know when the form I sent via your page arrives (if it arrives). I got to the thank you page straight away after removing the above code (using Firebug) and pressing send. At least now the form sends whether the checkbox has been ticked or not.

WilliFixit

Neilo,

Thanks for your suggestions, and I appreciate your help in coming up wht fixes on this Form Builder issue.

However I am still wondering WHY I should need to get into the code and deal with this at all. The whole purpose of spending thousands of dollars on all the WebAssist tools I have is so that I DO NOT HAVE TO EDIT CODE. I would think that something so simple as adding a checkbox to a form, unvalidated, should not cause such a problem, or need such an extensive workaround.

Hopefully I will get some help from the WebAssist group on this, and if not I will resort to editing the code using your suggestions.

Thanks again, Neilo, for your time and help! (By the way, I did get the email resonse from your post!)

neilo

Cheers Will,

Sorry you had problems with this, - all you needed to do was insert a checkbox in plain old html. (The difficulty was in untangling it from the rest!).

To insert any new form field, put your cursor on the page where you want it, - keeping it out of the way of other code 'entanglements', and have Dreamweaver inset it. So for your checkbox, all that had to go in was:

<label>Join our Mailing List
<input name="checkbox1" type="checkbox" id="checkbox1" value="Yes Please!" />
</label>

I am not keen on CSS Form Builder, I must admit, and wouldn't use it to make forms; (seems like overkill on the grouping and formatting side of things and there can be problems hust getting it to fit), but I use the validations and 'show if' behaviours so am quite happy.

Hope you have a smoother ride from here on.

WilliFixit

Thanks again...

So, WebAssist staff...what do you have to contribute???

Eric Mittman

What you are experiencing in regards to the checkbox has been confirmed and logged as a bug. The current workaround for this is to either use your own checkbox after the fact, or remove the spry validation from the checkbox that is inserted. This is something that we hope to get fixed by the next update.

WilliFixit

Thanks for the update, Eric. I will look forward to that fix...I rely on your tools! Hope it is soon.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...