close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

PS3 + Featured Pod / Popular Pod

Thread began 2/22/2010 8:07 am by gw311682 | Last modified 3/22/2010 7:10 am by Ray Borduin | 2414 views | 7 replies |

gw311682

PS3 + Featured Pod / Popular Pod

Can someone please explain how product selection works in the ‘Featured Pod’ (left pod) on the home page? I’ll really appreciate someone explaining this to me.

I understand that the basis for the product selected to appear in the ‘Popular Pod’ is the product with the highest number of sales. This would be OK for most businesses but I sell collectible books. Therefore, I very rarely have more than one of any particular item for sale and once a book is sold, it’s out of stock. So, in theory, there would never be a most popular product and if one appeared in this pod, it would be out of stock.

I therefore need a way to change the contents of the Popular pod manually so that I can use it to feature new books as they arrive. I’m comfortable with the css needed to do this but don’t want to cause any conflict within the php parts of the programme by deleting code willy-nilly. Any help with this problem will be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The featured product can be set from the admin section. You can set any product to be featured by clicking the feature button on the product details page.

The most popular product, it appears you don't need, so just delete it and delete the mostpopular recordset and you can add content manually. It is only used on that page and then displayed on the admin home page, so you can delete it from both places and it won't cause issues anywhere else on your site.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

gw311682

Hello Ray and thanks for the prompt reply. My apologies, but I'm at a total loss when it comes to php. For example, in your reply you say to "delete the most popular recordset" - what does this refer to and where is it? If you could actually show me what to delete and where, this would be a big help.

Thanks for your time and trouble; your help is really appreciated.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Are you using Dreamweaver?

If so you can open the "Server Behaviors" window and find and delete the recordset from there.

gw311682

Yes, Ray, I'm using Dreamwaver. So do I delete 'Show If Recordset is Not Empty (MostPopularRS)' and 'Show If Recordset is Empty (MostPopularRS)' from the Server Behaviors panel?

Sorry for my lack of confidence but no previous experience of dynamic sites, databases or php! Thanks, once again.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can, but those things actually appear on the page, so if you deleted the content from that box, it would be deleted automatically. The recordset appears above the page (not in the body) so you can only delete it from code view or from the server behaviors window as I suggested.

Andre.M

changing most popular?

Ray, is there a way of setting what product the "most popular" pod gets filled with? in another words, what do i need to do to select the product that gets placed in "most popular" pod.

thanks for your help.

Andre

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It is handled based on actual sales and what is actually your most popular product. You could adjust the recordset query to return any specifc record instead on the home page.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...