close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Display problems in IE6

Thread began 5/13/2009 2:39 pm by jeremyandrebecca67370 | Last modified 5/14/2009 1:03 pm by jeremyandrebecca67370 | 5879 views | 10 replies |

jeremyandrebecca67370

Display problems in IE6

Hello!

Everything is working perfectly with our menu in Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3.

www.jeremyandrebecca.com

However, apparently in Internet Explorer 6 everything goes wacky. (Menu items are displaying vertically, each the width of their container div, instead of horizontally.)

Can anyone offer suggestions on what to do to resolve this?

Thanks so much!

Jeremy

Sign in to reply to this post

Justin Nemeth

Not sure this is causing the IE6 problem, but I noticed in your #leftColumn there is what looks like an entire webpage in there. It has a doctype, html tag, etc which is breaking the page and might be the culprit. I would fix that as a first step to see if it fixes IE6 in any way.

jeremyandrebecca67370

Thanks for your reply!

Good point. This site got a little out of hand, and I failed to scale that back. :-) I got rid of the doctype and other misc info. Unfortunately, I seem to have to keep the html tags as the flash music player won't work without them. Do you think that will cause a problem?

I'm not at a computer with IE6 right now. Did the changes I made so far seem to fix anything?

I'll await any further advice. Thanks for your help.

Jeremy

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It still appears to have the wide columns in the first level. You may have to specify a width attribute for the first row of the menu. If you don't want them to all be the same you can edit the code by hand and add a style tag to the individual elements to set the width. That is what I would try anyway since the issue seems to be the widths going out of whack on ie6.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

jeremyandrebecca67370

Thanks guys! OK, I've manually set the width for each top level menu element. Everything checks out in my browsers. However, I still don't have access to IE6 to verify the results.

If someone has access to Internet Explorer 6, could you check to make sure the menu is now fixed. (I would imagine it is.)

Thanks again for all your help!

Jeremy

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Very close. Still has some weird coloring issues with a white space in the submenus but at least the page looks right and is functional now.

Try downloading ietester... it is a great free product that will allow you to test with different versions of IE from your computer.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I think the current problem may be in the height specified:

ul#cssmw0 ul.level-1 > li > a {menu.css (line 98)
background-image:url(../cssmw0_images/subnavBg.png);
background-repeat:repeat;
border-top:1px solid #FFFFFF;
color:#221F1F;
display:block;
font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
font-size:13px;
font-style:normal;
font-weight:bold;
height:20px;
line-height:20px;
margin:0;
padding:5px 10px;
text-align:left;
text-decoration:none;
text-transform:lowercase;
width:112px;
}

Try changing the heights from 20 to 30 pixels... I think your lines are larger than the settings and IE is still showing it as 20 pixels.

jeremyandrebecca67370

Hmmm... I think I'd rather have the lines be 20px high, if possible. But, for now, I have set them to 30px to see if that changes anything.

I'm downloading ietester right now. Anything new visually on your side?

Thanks!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

No that didn't do it. Maybe update the bg image itself and make it taller:

url(../cssmw0_images/subnavBg.png) is currently 5 x 20... maybe if you made it larger.... get ietester and check it out. It will be easier than me viewing and you debugging (pretty amazing we got this far really)

jeremyandrebecca67370

:-) True, true...

Got ietester up and running and... Yikes! The whole page is funky. It took me so long to get Firefox and IE to display everything consistently, it scares me to think about what it's going to take to get IE6 happy.

At any rate, for some reason, the drop-down menus are not even showing up in ietester. I'm downloading an actual, old version of IE6 though to see if that improves things.

I'll report back...

Jeremy

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...