close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Getting metrics on Size of database and qty of photos

Thread began 2/21/2010 3:29 am by pcondon1390228 | Last modified 2/22/2010 9:42 am by Justin Nemeth | 1245 views | 2 replies |

pcondon1390228

Getting metrics on Size of database and qty of photos

Dear Sirs,

I have a client who is interested in using the power gallery for his web site. He is a commercial photographer and I am trying to get a handle on size of mysql database needed.

Are the images compresses to the database ?

He wants to use the following categories:

Wildlife 26 galleries/categories
Travel 5 galleries/categories
Latest Images 3 galleries/categories

What is the size limit for each gallery and what would you need in terms of capacity on the hosted my sql database

Sign in to reply to this post

WilliFixit

Hi,

I am a photographer and was concerned about the same. I checked out the database and found that it only contains three tables:

• One for gallery information,
  • One for the gallery images,
  • One for the general settings.

The second, the gallery images, only contains text and integer fields--no binary fields that could contain images. Therefore, each additional image (record) would only take about 2k (kilobytes) of space in the database itself.

The actual images, in all sizes, are stored within the site structure itself as files (not the database) within the PowerGallery folder. In whatever folder you installed PowerGallery, there is another folder called "images". Inside the "images" folder there are numbered folders (1, 2, 3...) for each gallery. That is where your space will get used.

In my gallery folders (the numerical ones) there are nine (9) copies of each image, at differing sizes (thumbnail, 1024px wide, etc.) including the original image. As far as total size is concerned, here is what my site is showing:

Typical original size (all my images are presized to 1500px on the longest size): 300K
Eight other PG sized/watermarked images: 250K total all eight.

Hope that helps...

Justin Nemeth

Thanks for the great info Will. To summarize, the size of the MySQL database will remain pretty small. The images are resized and stored on the filesystem, so its really about making sure you have disk space available which is not typically an issue with most hosting plans these days.

-justin

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...