close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DataAssist Hanging when using any template

Thread began 2/18/2010 10:41 am by rlrigdon187563 | Last modified 2/18/2010 4:12 pm by Jason Byrnes | 1797 views | 5 replies |

rlrigdon187563

DataAssist Hanging when using any template

I see this has been reported elsewhere and I'm having the same problem. When I use the wizard and don't select a template, the wizard proceeds; as soon as I select a template, the wizard hangs on the second screen.

I've tried unlinking the css file. I've also went through and commented out every image and div in the template except for the one holding the main content. After this did not work, I created a brand new template that was simply an empty html file with a single editable region. I then try to use the wizard - the first time I don't select a template and everything works; I used the back button and selected this new empty template and everything locks up.

I deleted the cache file (when there is one - many times there is none). I've also uninstalled every extension and then reinstalled just DataAssist. Still no luck. I've even renamed the main Configuration folder so a new one is created, installed just DataAssist and no luck. Everytime I lock up a have a stranded case of HTML2IMAGE.EXE left running that I then have to shut down.

I just upgraded to DataAssist 2 yesterday since its been awhile since I've done anything in Dreamweaver so I even tried uninstalling DataAssist 2 and going back to the latest version of 1 and still get the same thing.

I'm running this on Win XP and Dreamweaver CS3.

As such, this extension is useless to me and I've already wasted a day and a half trying to get something to work that was supposed to save me time.

I've included a zip file of the 2 templates. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated and am ready to ask for a refund for the upgrade.

Attached Files
templates.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I'm not able to reproduce the problem with the template files you have provided.

here are a few things to try:
1) change the extension from .dwt to .php.dwt to create a dynamic template

2) Disable the preview. go to edit -> WebAssist Preferences. select Preview nd check the disable preview option.

rlrigdon187563

ok - did that...

Renaming the templates did nothing - the system still locked up. (I had to do dwt.php instead of php.dwt or the templates wouldn't show up in the dropdown.)

Turning off the preview allows me to proceed but at a major cost. Without being able to see what the various options do is like being told I can drive my car but only if I cover up the windshield when I do so.

It sounds like what you're telling me I have to do is turn the preview on, don't select a template and run through the wizard to see what the various options provide. Then, after I figure out what I want and have them written down, I have to exit the wizard, turn preview off, then go back in and run the wizard with my choices and my template selected. Then, since I'm assuming these preferences affect all of the Web Assist extensions, I am going to have to turn preview back on in order to preview anything when I run something else of yours.

If that's the case, that's unacceptable.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Like I said, using your templates I was not able to reproduce the problem, perhaps if I had all of the supporting files like CSS and images, I could reproduce the problem.

With the preview disabled, you can click in the preview window to have a full size preview open in a web browser. you don't so much loose the preview function, you only loose the small quick preview that is displayed in the wizard.

rlrigdon187563

doesn't work

I tried your solution of clicking on the preview window. I get a page with none of the images present no matter the design type and no matter what color I select, everything appears the same. The only thing that changes is when I select the text which has to be a certain setting so it goes with the rest of the site. As I said, this is unacceptable and the extension is worthless to me. I would like a refund for the upgrade.

Also you mention having the supporting css and image files. The one template I sent you is a blank html document with no images, no css - only a single editable region. That locks up also. I would say this isn't related to those supporting files based on that.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
login.php

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...