close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Pages from same template shifting horizontally

Thread began 2/14/2010 9:30 pm by WilliFixit | Last modified 2/16/2010 3:15 pm by neilo | 3062 views | 10 replies |

WilliFixit

Pages from same template shifting horizontally

I have some pages from the same template that are shifting 9 pixels horizontally. Thought someone would be able to tell me why.

See:

http://willadamsphoto.com/aboutme/photohistory.php

http://willadamsphoto.com/aboutme/myprocess.php

Thanks for any help on this! :) :)

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

It jumps a little if you go from a short page to a long page when the scroll bar appears. This is the standard behaviour for Firefox/Mozilla.

In IE it stays in the same position.

WilliFixit

Thanks, neilo,

But on my machine it shifts with either IE or Firefox/Mozilla.

Too bad...it's a bit distracting.

neilo

Hi Will,

I'm not seeing that in I.E, but you're not alone in being annoyed. There is a similar post here and John Langer has posted a link that might (or might not) be helpful.

neilo

Justin Nemeth

Thanks for the link neilo. Will, if you follow the example that neilo posted that will essentially force the scrollbar to always show and stop the page shifting.

-justin

WilliFixit

Thanks, Justin,

In the link, he says:

You can add some simple styles to your site's style sheet to force a vertical scrollbar to always show and thus get rid of the page shift. The most obvious solution is to add an overflow: scroll rule to the html element. However, this rule adds a horizontal scrollbar as well, which web users definitely don't like. Here's an easy and valid way to force only the vertical scrollbar to appear, no matter what size the viewport is:

html { min-height: 100%; margin-bottom: 1px; }

If I am using the mystyles.css to modify the default SiteAssist Pro CSS, where do I put this HTML code? Do I have to put it on all pages????

Justin Nemeth

The mystyles.css is already included on each page, so adding it to that file should be all that is needed.

-justin

WilliFixit

I did add it, to the top of my mystyles.css just as:

html { min-height: 100%; margin-bottom: 1px; }

But no changes happen to the pages. Is there something else I should do, or change?

neilo

Hiya Will,

Another way to force a vertical scroll-bar in Firefox is to use overflow-y: scroll; in the css rule for your

body element:

body {
background-color: #252525;
color: #B9B9B9;
/* The rest of the body styles here */
overflow-y: scroll;
}

However, while this looks and works fine in Firefox and IE8, if you look at the same page in IE7 or older IE browsers, you will see that you have a new problem, in that IE will insert a second scroll-bar - usually the same length as the run of the page content.

So to get round this you would have to duplicate your stylesheet - but without the 'overflow-y' style - and create a conditional style comment:

<!--[if lte IE 7]>
<style type="text/css" media="all">
<!--
@import url("path_to_your/IE7.css");
-->
</style>
<![endif]-->

which would need to be included in the head of each page.

You can see the effects of this method when the conditional css has not been aplied (if you have <= IE7) here but in Firefox or IE8 you will see that it has added the scroll bar track even where the page length doesn't require it.

WilliFixit

Thanks again. I will try a few options and see what works/looks best. I may just (as lots seem to resign themselves to do) live with the shift.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...