close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Digital File Pro 2 progress bar or activity graphic?

Thread began 5/11/2009 11:45 pm by mark.shelley333080 | Last modified 5/12/2009 11:38 pm by mark.shelley333080 | 3413 views | 6 replies |

mark.shelley333080

Digital File Pro 2 progress bar or activity graphic?

Hi,

Just got the email about DFP2 and I got all excited about the "Progress Bar"!

A little more reading and it appears that the Progress Bar is not really a **Progress** bar but simply a pop up animation graphic which displays until the file upload is complete. So it is NOT a progress bar (which should show how much of the file has uploaded). As mentioned in another post, a Flash/Java solution (no Java PLEASE!) could be available in the next version of DFP which would then be able to display a real progress bar.

So, 2 questions for the nice people at WebAssist:

1. What's an approximate timescale for this functionality?

2. If I pay to upgrade to DFP2, will I have to pay AGAIN for the next version with a real Progress Bar?

I would like to upgrade now to DFP2 for the upload and resize image functionality so I can stop using my Interakt Kollection (ADDT) file upload SB, which has had resizing functionality for several years, and make more use of WA extensions.

Thanks

Mark.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

We haven't made any determination on when or even for sure weather to add a Flash or Java solution that would allow us to create a true progress bar. I can't make any guesses as to when it would be completed or what the pricing structure might be. There are a lot of options and none of them are determined. If you buy DFP v2 it should be based on the features it currently has and without any assumptions about what it might have in the future.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

InnovaDave

I just upgraded today when I saw it had a "progress bar". I was pretty annoyed when I saw it's not a progress bar, it's more like an "activity bar" or something. I have to say that it's a bit misleading. It's still better than nothing but I think the terminology should be changed.

Thanks,
Dave

Joe Lowery

While the DFP progress bar doesn't show the percentage of a file being uploaded, it does indicate that the upload process is progressing -- and it goes away when the process is complete. We debated what to call it and I felt that none of the other suggested names were as easily grasped as progress bar, so I decided to go with that. I stand by that decision.

Best - Joe
Joseph Lowery
VP of Product Management, WebAssist

webmaster359615

I will still be upgrading. While a true progress bar would be nice, the most important thing is letting users know when it is okay to close their browser--and it appears DFP2 accomplishes this. Nevertheless, I will be keeping my eyes open for the next upgrade.

fragop363190

I'll be upgrading today to DFP2 cause im transisioning like "mark" (check previous post) from ADT to full webassist suite. I don't like mixing extensions and if a suite can provide me with all I need this is what i will use.

I agree though that "Progress Bar" name is misleading and some people probably bought it for that feature. Well im buying it for the thumbnail image generation to get rid of my ADTs one and be 1 step close to transforming to all new webassist suite.

Maybe at least write in the "Features" of DFP2 that there is an animated image displaying while uploading isntead of using only the "Progress Bar" term. Buy i agree with the previous poster that its much better having a visual aid at least when uploading a file since u notify the end user that something is happening and he is sure that his application is not stuck..

Keep up the good work "Webassist".

mark.shelley333080

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a real progress bar. I'll be upgrading anyway to continue my quest to be able to build sites with WebAssist without touching ADDT/Interakt extensions.

I'm in the same boat for not wanting to mix extension suites. I am still building sites using ADDT/Interakt (force of habit becasue I've been using them for years it's still quicker for me to deploy a basic CMS with them until I've spent more time and got more experience using WebAssist Web Developer Suite).

However, although KTML was good, it was very bloated and a bit buggy, so now I always use the EXCELLENT WebAssist iRite "wrapper" extension for fckeditor on my ADDT/Interakt admin forms.

I also now only use WebAssist Universal Email on the front end of websites rather than the ADDT/Interakt Send Email extension. I avoid putting any ADDT/Interakt code on the front end of websites - back ends can always be changed at a later date without affecting the front end as all you are basically doing is getting stuff into the database and manipulating files.

I think I will upgrade to DFP2 and use it when I need to provide upload facilities on front ends of websites.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...