close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Internals

Thread began 3/18/2011 1:39 am by peter406101 | Last modified 3/25/2011 7:34 pm by peter406101 | 1917 views | 4 replies

peter406101

Internals Database Errors

Hi Jason,

I could not find an in-depth systems manual. Is there one available rather than having to read 1000s of lines of code to understand the system structure.

As indicated by you, while I can consult my hosting provider on how the server handles 400 and 500 errors, it is common practice to have an error handling facility and notification (e.g., email or other facility) to immediately notify the system administrator if something goes wrong with user access to the database (e.g., a sale falling over mid process). This may be especially important on shared servers when you cannot easily take control.

This saves a lot of headaches if an error perpetuates or creates other issues in the database. Relying solely on the server email system to notify for errors is fraught with danger - having to monitor the log file can be problematic when 100's and even 1000's of multiple transactions are creating big problems for the database or system.
We were looking for more of an out-of-the-box product that can administer these settings from the dashboard area, and avoid too much mucking around with web hosting providers.

I also feel that it is important that not only the data fields inserted into database are strictly enforced and valid, but that the links between tables (e.g., implied or enforced referential integrity between tables) are maintained - that tables do not have dangling table records that do not link to other tables that they are supposed to link to (as indicated in your last post or reply to me, orders and order details). Also, I am not sure why it was suggested in your previous post that falling over in the middle of multiple database activities (insert into one table, followed by inserts into two, three or more tables) is ok? What about if the database falls over at other critical stages – e.g., when deleting financial information etc?

In addition, I fear that customers may be upset if orders are placed and records are not up to date - the example I gave was that if a user is updating his customer address details, while another user is using the old address to send out an invoice. It is not ok to send out $100's or 1000's of dollars worth of goods to the wrong address - if a customer is updating his address details while his shipment details are being retrieved for delivery by the system administrator? A first come first served system – if a user does not update his details in time before his shipment details is being retrieved - is not appropriate for maintaining customer satisfaction, and our needs.

There is good reason for transactions and the ACID rules for a database viewable here acid.htm.

There would need to be a better detailed explanation of how the system ensures full system integrity and customer satisfaction about the issues above, as I cannot see how it can ensure consistency, integrity, and client satisfaction.

If not, I think you have a 14 day evaluation period and it may be necessary to be refunded the purchase price and delete the system from our server.

Thanks,

Regards,

Peter

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...