close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Internals

Thread began 3/18/2011 1:39 am by peter406101 | Last modified 3/25/2011 7:34 pm by peter406101 | 1916 views | 4 replies

peter406101

Hi i am waiting for my server access, so thanks for your help in understanding and evaluating Powerstore.

I will be running Powerstore on a shared server and may not have control over php or SQL settings.

In terms of your response for error reporting:
I know that:

error_reporting = 6135 (which I think means E_ALL & ~E_Notice)
log_errors = On (is on)

Using phpinfo(), I could not find display_errors = Off
I was able to find suhosin.disable.display_errors = off
Not sure if they are the same thing?

1. Given these settings are not in my control what do you suggest?
I should not have to do php coding? Or do i?

2. Even if the error settings stipulated above are in place,
a) how does the error reporting work? Errors seem to go into a log file?

b) As the system admin, am i notified that an error occurred?.
Does the code fall over and no one knows unless u look in the log file?

c) Is there any message, e.g., "system is down..come back later" given to the user. What happens?

3. While the mysql system can somewhat rely on STRICT_ALL_TABLES,
Should one presume that messages are displayed to the user if they entered inappropriate data. Eg. A message like: Date format is incorrect, it should be in dd/mm/yyyy?. Phone numbers need to be 999 9999999 etc?

4. You say that your system does not use transactions. How then do you handle dirty reads, phantom reads, unrepeatable reads, given that the internet is a multi user environment (ecommerce systems are multiuser)?

5. If the msql system falls over in the middle of an update what happens?
e.g., if 3 sequential updates are necessary:

5.1) Update order table,
5.2) then update the order_details table,
5.3) then update the customer's purchases table.

What does Powerstore to maintain database integrity do if mysql stops or falls over, or the php script stops or falls over at step "5.2", the second part of the necessary updates above?

6.If one user is updating a customer's address details while the another user is using the old address to send out an invoice what happens?
Other examples of multiuser problems may be include when updating stock levels; or credit cards details etc? How is database integrity maintained?

Powerstore is marketed as an easy off the shelf - get your store up and running easily type of product. I am hoping that I don’t have to worry too much about extra coding or database problems.

Regards,

Peter

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...