close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Please Explain the Various Form Types, Plus No Validation!

Thread began 9/10/2010 9:32 pm by Jim376112 | Last modified 9/30/2010 3:38 pm by Jim376112 | 2276 views | 13 replies

Jim376112

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the prompt reply and that's a good suggestion about numbering! I'll do that in the future.

1) CHECKBOXES - Well my instinct was that there was something fundamentally missing in my understanding of Checkboxes and Radio buttons and I finally discovered my problem. I did not realize that multiple checkboxes were defined using the Checkbox Group! I thought that the process was to Add a Checkbox Group and then add multiple additional fields of Type Checkbox. What I discovered is that after selecting a Type of Checkbox Group I should then push the Edit button and add the multiple Checkboxes through that interface! (In my defense, as a hard core Windows API programmer, in Windows I add a Group control and then I add multiple Checkbox controls - In the Win API the Group control only provides a "box" to visually group the other controls "together"; it adds no other functionality.) In any case, now that I am defining the controls correctly, that fixed my "all labels are clustered together to the left" problem. This misunderstanding also answered the question I kept asking about how to get Radio buttons onto the form that you kept interpreting as a desire to just place a single Radio button (which is meaningless!). However, I am still having a problem with Checkbox Validation. In my example of four (now correctly defined) Checkboxes with values of 1, 2, 3 and 4 and a Validation of Min=2 and Max=4, the Validation doesn't work per my understanding of your response. It seems that the form passes Validation as long as a) two boxes are checked and b) at least one of the checked boxes is in the range of 2 through 4 inclusive. However, your response said "but pass if two or four is selected". You don't mention 3 at all. I'm confused by what you mean by these digits. Do these digits refer to a) the number of checkboxes checked or b) the checkboxes with that value? That is, does "but pass if two or four is selected" mean that either a) two or four checkboxes are selected or b) the checkboxes with values of 2 or 4 are selected? (Does the use of the terms "min" & "max" not mean the usual "and all values in between"? )

2) Thanks - I did not know that there were CVV values that use letters.

3) RADIO BUTTONS - As described above I now understand how to get Radio buttons onto the form. Please explain the meaning of a) Required b) Empty Value = c) Required Value =.

4) Lastly, here's what I'm trying to understand. If I add a new Fieldset, the Group that comes with it can be set to a Category of List with Type = Country and the Field that is auto created in the default Set in that Group is generated as a list with "a hundred" countries. But, if I'm working with a Field in some other Set I can again set it to List but there's no way to get the List loaded with "a hundred" countries. I see I can push Edit and manually load the list but that's not real feasible with a long list like Countries. Is there some way to get such a List loaded for a Field I've added into an existing set of Fields. For example, if I have an existing Form, how can I add a Country List to it?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...