close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Site Sculptor Customization

Thread began 6/16/2010 9:03 am by Jared Lui | Last modified 6/16/2010 1:31 pm by Jared Lui | 979 views | 3 replies

Jared Lui

Site Sculptor Customization

Forgive another thread but I seem to have lots of downtime waiting for a response from WebAssist on my other two posts.

Here is my concern. And perhaps this is my fault for not understanding the system, but I have read, all of your documentation, many times and have had my employees do the same, many times and we all come to the same conclusion.

Your very limited documentation leaves way too much unanswered to be helpful at all. And when you have in your documentation wrong or outdated information as in the example below, it's a struggle for us.

Taken from the QA page - "Choose WebAssist > Preset Manager. In the Preset Manager, choose then Site Sculptor Site Types "

Taken from the Help file: - "The Add New Site Design interface can be launched from the following locations: WebAssist > Preset Manager"

(i know this seems trivial but if someone is trying to learn your software and the step is wrong, they get stuck. In this case, your QA is wrong)

Secondly, I feel that by using Site Sculpture, you are limited to 18 different web designs. Imagine all the web designers that purchase this extension all using the same 18 designs, albeit with different menus and color schemes.

I know that you advertise the you can "Simply specify a Dreamweaver template within the interface and Site Sculptor will generate all the pages of your site using your existing template."

Here is my problem with that statement (although the statement is technically correct, it is misleading). In order to use a DW template (even created by WebAssist) you first have to make it available in Preset Manager. Okay, I understand how that works now after fighting through the inconsistencies in the documents. What I think you fail to understand is that most of us do not want to use the 18 WebAssist designs and will solely create our own templates from concepts we create in Photoshop or Fireworks and would bring into Preset Manager and in turn Site Sculpture. But, your system so far pretty much locks us into using your designs. (at least until you can tell me how to successfully get DW templates to actually work in your extension)

Perhaps it would help if you had a default blank "Page Type" in the Site Sculptor Page Types list. Currently there is nothing there and no way to create a new one. You can import a page type I suppose but I cannot find any information regarding it. When you click the HELP button it takes you the the Site Designs help page which is no help at all. Here's the link: index.htm#ss_02.htm

Likewise with the Site Types. You can Remove what is already there. Export or Import but you cannot add a new one. I suppose that is what Import might do but I don't know that because the HELP button again leads you the Site Design help (see link above) which is no help at all.

So I am left to use your defaults and go from there. Which is fine. Not ideal, but at least they are starting points.

That leaves Site Designs. Now I have successfully created a template that I could get to show up in the Preset Manager Site Sculpture Site Designs list. However, I was unsuccessful on many attempts with several templates I tried and was only able to get it to work if the content.dwt was pretty much blank with the three editable fields. Seems to work fine if you have only 1 page though. But that's a limit I am not sure designers want.

I have yet to see that Site Sculpture will work with a DW templete. I have attempted now 17 times. There IS an issue with the menu and all of the editable regions showing up.

I am trying to be patient but until someone from WebAssist lets me know they have read my post(s) and are looking into it, all I can take from it is that they are not. I have seen many other threads get read and answered so know that you're there. C'mon guys.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...