close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Horizontal Menu with Dropdowns not working in IE7

Thread began 6/14/2010 7:06 pm by gregb440246884 | Last modified 6/20/2010 3:41 pm by gregb440246884 | 4059 views | 13 replies

gregb440246884

First off, the error occurs on page that do not have any Flash on them at all... but just for the heck of it, I tried what you suggested and removed the Flash object from the home page. It didn't make any difference. I then changed the wmode to transparent, and again, that didn't make any difference.

I checked all of these in crossbrowsertesting.com and using IE Tester using IE7 on WinXP SP2 and Vista machines.

I've also received more emails today from people complaining that the dropdowns disappear for them... so now I'm getting nervous!

One person emailed me something interesting... they found that if the moused over a menu item and waited for the dropdown to appear, then RIGHT clicked (the cursor changes to a circle with a slash symbol) and moved the mouse down over the dropdown menu items, they could then release the right mouse button, and were able to left click to select the item.

I tried this, and it does work, but I also noticed something interesting... If you did this, you had to end up DIRECTLY on the TEXT of the menu item. If you let go of the right mouse button, or if you moved the regular cursor even slightly off of the TEXT, the menu disappears. So, at least this tells me that it's not just a 'border' issue. The problem is that IE7 (at least for me and an increasing number of others) isn't 'seeing' the background behind the dropdown menu items.

My next course of action (unless someone has a better suggestion), is to remove the background 'image' for the menu items that I'm using, and just use a solid color.

I'll post my results as soon as I am able... although it may not be until tomorrow night...

In the meantime, if anyone has ANY other suggestions, I'm all ears!!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...