close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

MRT Server Behaviour with eCommerce db

Thread began 4/20/2010 1:27 pm by troyd | Last modified 4/27/2010 11:42 am by troyd | 1855 views | 4 replies

troyd

I thought I had things figured out, but then it all fell apart on me when I went to add a dynamic menu. No fault to any of the extensions. Just my misunderstanding of what I should have created in the beginning.

I will simplify my needs here and then add in details if something is missing. I know that part of this could be posted in the CSS Menu Writer forum, but I wanted to update this post as well. And it includes issues of tables, relational tables and JOINS.

Here are my tables as they relate to my current attempts.

#1 "tblProducts" table with ProductID, ProductName, Description, Price, Image, ProductCategoryID columns.

#2 "tblProductCategories" table with ProductCategoryID, ProductCategoryName columns.

#3 "tblSubCategories" table with SubCategoryID, SubCategoryName columns

#4 "rtblSub_Products" relational table with SubProdTableID, Parent_ProductID, Parent_SubCategoryID columns

These are my needs for these 4 tables.

(PAGE 1)-Public Products "Results" page with Dynamic Menu.

This menu will show the main categories and then the sub categories under each. With many of them repeating in use. And I will be using CSS Menu Writer for this so that the menu will be updated dynamically if the client adds a new sub category.
The links for the Categories will be "#" but the links for the Sub Categories will be something like

products.php?category=[ProductCategoryID]&subcategory=[SubCategoryID]
which will then filter the results by using a search behavior, I assume.

For example:

• DOG

• FOOD
    • TOYS
    • BOWLS
    • BEDDING

• CAT

• FOOD
    • TOYS
    • BOWLS
    • BEDDING

• BIRD

• FOOD
    • TOYS
    • BOWLS

• RODENT

• FOOD
    • TOYS
    • BOWLS
    • BEDDING

(PAGES 2-5)-All the Admin pages for Inserting, Deleting, Updating, Results w/ Search

The search on the Admin page will be Dropdowns where you can search for all "Food" or just "Food" for "Cats". OR all products for "Cats".

I have created JOINs that work for the results but then they don't work for the menus. Should I create a 5th table that relates the Categories with the Sub Categories? Or should I just have one table that includes both and give the Categories a Parent_ID of "0" as I have seen mentioned before?
I was thinking that because I will have Sub Categories repeated under different Categories, that this method won't work.

Relational Tables have to be the hardest thing I have ever tried to learn. I have read books, studied the example databases and drawn lots of diagrams. I know it's going to all pay off, but it's still confusing. For me, video tutorials work the best. Are their any good ones out there? I'll pay for them.

Thanks,
TroyD

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...