close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Batch Uploading

Thread began 3/13/2010 9:08 pm by balexander389215 | Last modified 4/05/2010 9:47 am by balexander389215 | 3714 views | 12 replies

balexander389215

Hi Carlene,

I've been working on this for quite a while and while I don't have any answers I may have a little insight.

The ps3_productcategories table is as you correctly surmised made up of 3 auto-generated fields, it's own, one form ps3_products and one from ps3_categories. There really is no commonality between the tables that allows for easy linking so you have to create you own.

Since productID is a sequential number it gives no basis for linking. What I did was to create a table with a column for ProductID and one for ProductSKU then manually link CategoryID to ProductSKU. When finished I could delete the column for ProductSKU and I had the required csv for import. Not so bad if you have a small list but then you are better off to upload products one at a time.

(WARNING - Don't try this at home, it will lead to premature aging, an enhancement of negative vocabulary and possibly divorce.)

The csv files that Jason supplied are not csv but rather semicolon separated values. What this means is that rather than a separate column for each heading they are all actually in one great big column, each item separated by a semi colon.

I tried several times to get it to import and was finally successful by clicking on the first CSV and checking, Ignore Duplicate Rows. It did work, the import was successful and the products and categories connected properly. Unfortunately for us that is not a practical solution. It is okay to export a sheet using semicolon separated values but not at all practical to create one that way. It would be a humongous task to try to create a spread sheet for thousands of items with only one column and separating each item category with a semicolon. At least I wouldn't want to try it. One misalignment and the whole sheet is shot and good luck finding the error. Much easier to create the csv using separate columns for each field. But this is where my problem comes in. I have been able to import products and categories but so far importing productcategories this way does not provide the proper linking.

But that gives me an idea. I could save each column as text, use a program I have to put quotes around everything, then again to add a semicolon after each item. Then I could combine the two columns into one and try an import using semicolon separated values. That just might work.

There has to be an easier way but I'm obviously not bright enough to find it. Hopefully someone else out there has successfully created csv's and imported them into all three tables and would like to share.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...