close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Batch Uploading

Thread began 3/13/2010 9:08 pm by balexander389215 | Last modified 4/05/2010 9:47 am by balexander389215 | 3718 views | 12 replies

balexander389215

Batch Uploading

Dear Web Assist,

As I have mentioned before I have tried to do a bulk upload of multi thousand products into the database with mixed success. I thought I'd see if I could help out and trace the problem I was having with the PS working after batch upload. I deleted the entire setup and started from scratch setting up a new store.

I then uploaded csv tables to ps3_products, ps3_categories and ps3_productcategories products, categories and category links. All my products are in and show up fine in a show "all products" search. If I click on a category though it goes to sleep for 5 minutes while it searches then turns up empty. The first time I asked about this you suggested that it was timing out on too big a search, however when I click on all products it is very quick, almost instant, so I don't think that's the problem. In fact I'm sure it's not, see below.

If I go to admin and look at product details they show up and connected to the correct category s uses that particular table, ps3_productcategories. There must be something about bulk uploading that throws it off. (Realize that I manually configured this table as a csv so there may be something about the way I did that but it's pretty straight forward, only two columns.)

As a test I deleted the ps3_productcategories table which is the table that links all the products with their categories. Clicking on a category now does not time the system out, it just shows up empty. In admin I then added some products to their categories. Now clicking on the particular category turns up the products in quick order. Very nice actually. I am now convinced that this table is the culprit. There seems to be something about it that causes problems for a batch upload.

Of course once could batch upload products and categories then go back and manually connect products to categories but for a true uploadable store this one glitch should be looked into. You don't need to respond to me on this as I was just taking a deeper look into this problem and thought I would assess you of my findings. (I haven't seen anyone else with a similar problem so maybe it's just another one of my ID ten T errors.)

Another thing I am curious about, in the products result page images are contained in common.css in productResultsWrapper .left .imageWrapper . I was curious as to whether one of these settings could be made to control the box size thereby forcing the larger detail image into the smaller box and reducing the need to upload two images for each product.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...