close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Dropdown List Options Change Price/SKU/Delivery?

Thread began 5/18/2009 12:25 am by m2_in_SJ | Last modified 5/18/2009 7:35 am by m2_in_SJ | 3386 views | 1 replies

m2_in_SJ

Dropdown List Options Change Price/SKU/Delivery?

Hi,

I'm still getting my feet wet with eCart, and while it's all relatively straightforward, I have not come across a situation like the one we're in & wanted to ask about this:

I'm making a website for our band. We sell primarily CDs, but also downloadable sheet music and MP3s of our songs.

For each of our albums, we want to have a single product page with a pulldown in which you can select which version of the product you want to buy: Physical CD (14.95), Downloadable MP3 version (9.95), or a "instant download with purchase of the CD" for $2.00 more (i.e. for people who "still buy CDs" but don't want to wait for the package to arrive in the mail, we're happy to charge a couple bucks extra for you to have immediate access to all the tracks on the album right away.)

For accounting purposes (we have to pay royalties on our cover songs, and if we're selling someone BOTH a physical CD and an immediate download, we pay royalties twice), each "flavor" of download has a different SKU as well.

I haven't really begun playing with setting up the digital download functionality yet, but the plan at this point is to have the download triggered by the purchase of a particular SKU -- which again requires that the "add to cart" buttons accurately report that based on the option selected.

So my question is -- rather than having a separate "add to cart" button for each of these flavors -- which is clunky from a design standpoint -- how would you make a pulldown menu in which each option is not bound to a single column in the table, but rather, to multiple ones? So that if you choose the physical CD option, the cart shows a SKU of PHYS-CD (or whatever), a price of $14.95, and a description of "physical CD version", etc. but if you choose the digital download option, the cart will show a SKU of DLOAD (or whatever) and a price of $9.95? Is there perhaps also another "download" flag that needs to be set at this point as well?

I'm guessing this is just a matter of setting up separate item records in the table for each flavor of the product -- one for the "physical" version, one for the "download" version, and one for the "physical plus immediate download" version -- but then how do you alter the "add to cart" button to select one vs. the other?

I suspect I could figure out how to hack this in Javascript -- make it such that there are alternate "add to cart" buttons for each option, and have Javascript submit the appropriate fields associated with the selected option upon submission of the "add to cart" button's form -- but again, that seems like a hack. Is there a neater way to do this?

Thanks,
M2

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...