close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Do we have to wait for a shooting star?!

Thread began 1/20/2010 2:11 am by tone397472 | Last modified 9/11/2011 4:09 pm by tone397472 | 11089 views | 49 replies

yogastudents362523

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
  It is difficult to do combined tutorials ...  

In my opinion, it is better to thoroughly understand each tool. Experience will then show how to use them together to resolve practical issues, as I have experienced.

If we did a combined tutorial ...  

IMO, enabling people to become better acquainted with each separate tool is better.

This is why we concentrate on documenting each tool separately.  

SIGH. This is where things start to go round in circles. Documenting HOW to use DataAssist does not assist me when I have no clue what it is capable of in the first place. "Here is a one-page tutorial to show you how to insert a record in a table using DataAssist. Push this button ... and see ... here is the code that enables you to do this". "Here is a one-page tutorial to show you how to update a table with DataAssist. See that code there ... that is the code responsible for inserting it in the database". A backbone like that will not change from version to version, but it still starts indicating the possibilities inherent in that tool.

We are actually in the middle of an effort to address that problem. We will be consolidating products so that you don't need to own multiple products to get a complex site done.  

That highlights the difference in philosophy and approach. I don't think I need say more than that.

This will also allow us to document them all together, since we sold them together we can be sure that all of the products are updated.  

Updated to do what? Keep me even more in ignorance about what is happening, so when I run into a problem I get even less help on these forums?

Really what we like to do is figure out where you are getting stuck ...  

OK. Then try to hear me clearly, along with the person who started this thread and the other individual who has contributed to it.

Where we are getting stuck is imagining what these tools are supposed to do in the first place, and then figuring out how to get them to do those things.

We have tons of documentation people never read or look at. Very few people read the help.  

I KNOW THAT. But please ... this thread is peopled by users who HAVE read your documentation and who are trying to point out that there is a very specific way in which it is not meeting their needs, and is in fact adding to a frustration.

We know that to make you successful we really need to improve the tools and not just the documentation.  

NO, no, no no. In order to make me successful, and in order for me to think that you really ARE providing a great service, you also need to improve me as a user. What I would like to be able to do is to say to someone ... I became a better more capable at doing what I do because of WebAssist, and not just because of their products.

At the moment, what I say is that I became a better user because of the hard work I did by myself. WebAssist did not do a great deal, actually, to help me get there. I knew that one day I would understand what those tools are really capable of, but I did NOT learn that from WebAssist. I learned that elsewhere.

I am grateful that WebAssist exists so I can use its products. But I don't think I am going to get anywhere in trying to make WebAssist a better company. I have honestly done my best, however. Nothing else I can do but that.

Looking forward to your updated products. I dare say I shall buy them, but it's a shame that I am letting you getting away with just PRESUMING that.

Bye now.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...