close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Manage Relational Tables not working

Thread began 2/17/2010 7:37 pm by tim383164 | Last modified 2/23/2010 2:53 pm by tim383164 | 1924 views | 6 replies

tim383164

Manage Relational Tables not working

Platform: Windows 7 64bit, XAMMP, Site PHP

Trying to build a MRT page for a sporting site. In this site I want to be able to manage my Teams and their players. There will be many Teams and Players can be a member of more than 1 team.

So I was wanting to build a page so that as a Player registers (insert player) then they would choose which teams they will be playing for in the season. When the season is complete, before the next one starts, that player would update their details which would include updating their new team list (update player details)

I have been getting nowhere for the last few days trying to work out this MRT behaviour.

So for the purposes of this document, use the following:

Primary Table: Players
pkPlayerID - PlayerName
1 - Bob
2 - John
3 - Sam

Secondary Table: Teams
pkTeamID - TeamName
1 - Team A
2 - Team B
3 - Team C

Link Table: TeamPlayers
pkTeamPlayer - fkPlayerID - fkTeamID
1 - 1 (Bob) - 1 (Team A)
2 - 1 (Bob) - 3 (Team C)
3 - 2 (John) - 1 (Team A)
4 - 2 (John) - 2 (Team B)
5 - 2 (John) - 3 (Team C)
6 - 3 (Sam) - 3 (Team C)

So I created the 2 DA Insert / Update / Results page for "Teams" and "Players"

Then I went to update the Player_Insert page to add the MRT code.

Followed all of the steps outlined in a previous post showing how to create an MRT by Erik (showthread.php?p=10544)

1- I added a recordset to list the available Teams (pkTeamID, TeamName)

2- Created a new 2x2 table in the insert form and placed the TeamName in one col, and a checkbox in the 2nd col.

3- I highlighted the checkbox and clicked on the dynamic bolt, and selected pkTeamID as the value and chose 1 as the Equal to value.

4- Applied the Repeat Region behavior to this table row = my Teams Recordset.

5- Made sure that the redirect on the Insert Page was removed (had to do this manually as the Insert Record Wizzard would not remove it)

6 - Applied the MRT behaviour selecting the table "TeamPlayers" and selecting WADA_Insert_PLayer Session Variable as the Primary Link (pkTeamID) and the checkbox as the secondary Link (fkTeamID)

Uploaded the content and what I found was that because I selected "1" as the Equal to Value for the Dynamic Checkbox then the Repeat Region table would always display a tick against "Team A" on page load.

I would then tick various teams for that new Player and click on the insert button.

I would then look at the SQL Data and nothing would be inserted into the linked table.

I can understand pretty much of how the MRT works, but I am a bit confused on the checkbox and how to "Bind it" to a autoincrement Primary Key field. So I think that this part maybe where i am getting into trouble.

I have also tried working this the other way ie Insert_Team and choose which players are in that team. Same result no data entered into link table.

I have also removed the pkTeamPlayerID field from the link table, just keeping the 2 foreign keys. Same result no data entered into link table.

I have been going around in circles for days over this.

Regards

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...