close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

A Few Observations/Questions

Thread began 2/10/2010 1:41 pm by robert222776 | Last modified 2/24/2010 3:55 pm by robert222776 | 3056 views | 8 replies

robert222776

A Few Observations/Questions

I implemented BOSS on my own site (without any customization of the search results content) to better understand how it works, My conclusions are admittedly empirical (no search theory involved here) since they come from my own testing. Perhaps they are obvious to those familiar with how Yahoo (Web) or Google search works.

1. I compared BOSS search with Yahoo's Web search. modifying the search terms slightly for the Web search case. The results were nearly identical for the Web search and my site search.

2.As an interesting side note, (for some reason) one page on my site was never indexed by Yahoo spiders. Consequently a search for keywords within the content on that page did not show any results for either my site search or the web search. BTW, Google did not miss indexing the page.

Conclusion: For the BOSS search to work, a page(s) must already have been indexed by Yahoo. The BOSS API itself does not initiate or do any indexing of the site. Hence the real meaning behind your marketing statement, "Add the power of Yahoo!'s search engine and extensive search index to your website". It seems obvious to me now, but I really did not give this point much thought before.

3. The search results displayed (most of the time) come directly from the meta tag for description content (BOSS calls it "abstract"). If the meta description content="", then search terms from the page content will be displayed prominently in the search results. This is true for both BOSS and Yahoo Web. In one test case, results displayed page content (instead the description content). My site is not large, only about 13 pages, so experimental sample sizes were small.

4. Most of the time, if there is meta description content, then the content on the actual page is ignored for a BOSS search, i.e "no results found". When I searched for the same phrases from actual content on my pages with Yahoo web, I got positive results.

Question: I am interested to know if others see this too, or if Web Assist has seen this? I do not really know if the page contend was not indexed, only that it was not displayed in the results.

Question: Is the length or number of words in the meta description a factor, such that long descriptions effectively leave no room for page content to be displayed, and short descriptions do leave room?

Question: What parameters control the amount of results displayed?

Question: What are the drivers that determine the BOSS results content that is actually displayed (beyond what I see in the Dreamweaver bindings)?

I do not see any Dreamweaver bindings for "page content" even though the content has been indexed by Yahoo.

Inconsistency in what seems to be driving the results makes it hard to have confidence in BOSS, especially for larger sites. The concern, obviously, is that BOSS is leaving out pages that should be counted in the site search results, even though Yahoo has indexed them.

Question: What might cause this to happen? Is this a fundamental limitation in BOSS, or a limitation in my understanding/implementation of BOSS?

Question: How should (can it?) the BOSS_include.php file be edited such that page content is always included in the search results?

I hope I have not bored everyone with these questions and observations. I am admittedly not a search guru.

Thanks,
Robert

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...