close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Information on recordsets + ATC Function for items with size options that affect pric

Thread began 1/20/2010 1:28 pm by JLK | Last modified 1/28/2010 5:07 pm by JLK | 3872 views | 12 replies

JLK

2nd Post today with more information

I will be happy to send you any information you require that will help me resolve this quickly. But I need answers to my previous inquiry before I know what to send, as my page is not published - still working in localhost. And I don't want to send all the code in this forum.

My situation - I have the site all developed except for the cart portion.
My products have various options. Some options affect the price and some do not.
-For situation of products that have options that affect price, I'll call Situation A.
-For products with options that do not affect price, I will call Situation B.
For these examples, my products will be tops.

Situation A:
Top 1 comes in 2 colors and 2 sizes. Tops in each color are the same price. Tops is the two sizes are different prices.
Important: Cuurently, the product price is tied to the product at the size, color level.
The ProductID is for a product that has a group(tops), an item(top 1), a color(blue) and a size(S), which then has a product ID, which = price. I need it this way for my inventory.
Q: For the purposes of the cart, must the productID only represent the product with no color or size? (From another thread, this is what seems to have been indicated). I prefer not to have a "base price" for the product, then add on to it if another size is chosen. (I'm not saying I won't, I just prefer not to, due to the inventory situation, if possible)

The cart layout that I want is a typical select layout where the customer chooses from a drop down list of colors, then from a drop down list of sizes, then chooses from a drop down list of quantities, then clicks on the cart button, which enters the appropriate info in the cart page.

I have tried very simple recordsets for quantity, size, color and product that include only the applicable columns from their own tables ie: sizeID, sizeName, sizeAbbrev and so on for the other tables.

I have also tried combining all the required data into one recordset.

And have tried individual recordsets that include data from other tables, ie, products table includes productID, productName, price, weight, productDesc, colorID, colorName, sizeID, sizeName.

None have worked for me - the result is NOT getting the chosen item in the cart. No matter what I do, it's always the first item in the product recordset.

Situation B:
This should be easier. There are attirbutes that the customer must choose from that are informational only. In this situation, the customer must choose measurements. Inches and frations for four separate dimensions. For each of the 4 dimensions, the customer must choose from a drop down list of inches, first of whole numbers and another list of fractions. But they do not affect the productID or price. I just want the selections from the drop down lists to appear in the cart (and ultimately in my MySQL database)

Lastly, if I can't find a quick workable solution to Situation A, what other options of cart display do I have?
For instance I could list the products with a quantity text box beside it so the customer can enter a quantity and add that to the cart. But I don't see how this will work either. But here is another product cart layout, if this may be more workable:
Order Form:
New York Tee, in Black, size Small ____
New York Tee, in Black, size Medium ____
New York Tee, in Red, size Small ____

I don't prefer this method, but I am looking for a workable, relatively quick solution.
If you need more information, please be detailed, so I can respond with the appropriate info.

thank you
JLK

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...