close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Is there a tutorial for validating a user in order to send them their password?

Thread began 1/02/2010 9:23 pm by Stevebo | Last modified 1/14/2010 9:31 am by Stevebo | 4876 views | 20 replies

Stevebo

Is there a tutorial for validating a user in order to send them their password?

I found a post by Walikan regarding something I'm interested in doing. However, I don't know much about the background of the steps to do what he did.

Is there a tutorial for how to create a "forgot password" page followed by a second check to verify their identity followed by sending them an email with a new password?

Basically, I want a forgot password feature where I ask them for their userID (their email address). Once they submit their userID, I will need to check in the database to see if it exists. If it does exist, then I want to route them to a verify identity page. Once there I plan to use their userID in order to retrieve and display a "Secret question" they selected from a canned list of secret questions when creating their profile.

Once they view their secret question that they had selected when creating their profile, I'll have a form element which will prompt them for their secret answer. When they enter their secret answer and submit the form, I want to verify that the secret answer matches what they entered in their profile.

If their secret answer matches what's in the database, I'll route them to an "email sent" page which explains that an email has been sent that contains their new password along with instructions with what to do next.

If they don't answer their secret answer correctly, I want to display an error message to indicate the secret answer is incorrect. If they still can't answer their secret answer they can contact us to tell us their problems.

If the userID doesn't exist, then I'll display a page indicating we don't have a userID in our system as they entered.

I'm interested if you have a tutorial as well as what tools you offer that could be used to accomplish this. I'm using DW CS4 with PHP and MySQL.

I've viewed one of your tutorials that covers setting up the basic pages for logging in and a forgot password page, but the forgot password page doesn't go far enough since I don't want to automaticaly reset the password without the user verifying who they are based on their userID. This will stop miscreants from constantly resetting someone's password without them ever requesting it.

thanks,

steve

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...