close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Database Setup Multiple Tables and Multiple Options

Thread began 12/16/2009 10:12 pm by jo4koalas392067 | Last modified 1/19/2010 10:35 am by jo4koalas392067 | 3189 views | 7 replies

jo4koalas392067

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thank you so much for this Jason.

OK based on what you have said how do I go about entering this information as we receive the information as follows:

Each company supplies a list of what occupations they are willing to hire and in what locations:

e.g.

Company B list would look like this:

Carpenter Location 1, 2, 4
Plumber 2,3,4
Electrician 4, 5
Bricklayer 6

So I need to set up the insert and update form as follows:

Company Name: Drop Down Menu (alloiwing only one selection) at the top
Occupation : Now sure how to handle this as there are over possible 500 occupations so drop down box or check box isn't going to work. Ideally would like to type in C (say for Carpenter) and it bring up all the occupations beginning with C and I can choose from that list or put in an occupation code in (which many of the companies use which is formatted as follows: 1234-56) and that is verified in some way against the occupations table (there is an occupation code field in this table).
Locations: This can be a check box allow multiple locations.

Ideally this would bring up excisting occupations that are currently required by the chosen employer through the update multiple records behaviour and give the user the option to either update the excisting locations against the occupations listed or add new occupations or delete occupations (and obviously their related locations).

Hope this makes sense. I have been reading about MRT behaviours, but not sure if this would apply as the occupations cannot be put into a drop down list or check box because of the number of options. Plus not sure how to list this all together on one page.

Also this may seem like a really stupid question, but I notice in your tables you use different field names for the foreign key names from their original primary key names - can you use the same name or is there some reason why you should use different names in each table?

e.g.

occupationlocations:
occupationlocationID - primary key
occupationlocationOcupation ID - Foreign key to Occupation Table Occupation ID
occupationlocationLocationID - Foreign key to Job Location Table Location ID

could I use:

occupationlocations:
occupationlocationID - primary key
Ocupation ID - Foreign key to Occupation Table Occupation ID
LocationID - Foreign key to Job Location Table Location ID

Thank you again Jason. One day I will get my head around this and stop buggin you, but desperate to understand and learn, so hope you can help.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...