close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Database Setup Multiple Tables and Multiple Options

Thread began 12/16/2009 10:12 pm by jo4koalas392067 | Last modified 1/19/2010 10:35 am by jo4koalas392067 | 3186 views | 7 replies

jo4koalas392067

Database Setup Multiple Tables and Multiple Options

I am have been going around in a circle on this one for days and now could really do with some suggestions or a fresh pair of eyes as to how I handle the following:

I have 3 tables:

Occupation Table
Occupation Code
Occupation Description etc
etc

Employer Table
Employer ID
Employer Name
etc

Job Location Table
Location ID
Location Description

The situation is that for each occupation there are a number of possible Employers who are willing to offer employment for these occupations. Each Employer has say 8 potential work locations, but they only want certain occupations for certain locations.

The Occupations Table has over 500 entries. The Employer table has 10 entries and the Location has 8 entries.

An example is:

Company A - wants Carpenters in location 1, 2 and 5
Company B - wants Carpenters in locations 4 and 8
Company C - wants Carpenters in all locations
Company D - doesn't want any Carpenters.

I am really not sure how to set this up to make this work with DataAssist.

I want to be able to retrieve the data to sort/filter and to display as follows:

1) Retrieve an occupation and display the employers that want to employ that occupation and in what location.

2) A list of occupations that an employer is willing to employ and in what locations:
e.g.
Company A
Plumber Location 1, 2 and 4
Bricklayer Location 4, 5, 6 and 8

3) Finally a list by location as follows:

Location 1
Plumber, Company A and B

or Locations 1 & 4
Bricklayer, Company A, B and D
Plumber, Company A, C, E and F

Hope this makes sense. I am confident in joining tables in dreamweaver, but not sure how to set this up in the first place, even whether my table structure is right - do I need more tables? How to input the data, especially as there are multiple options that I also need to sort/filter by.

I am using PHP, MySQL (using PHPmyAdmin)and have WA Super Suite.

Really grateful for any help as I think I have been at it too long and can't see the wood for the trees.

Cheers

Jo

Whoops sorry also should have mentioned that the employer and location requirements data changes on a weekly basis e.g. Employer A might want carpenters in location 1 and 4 one week, but locations 6 and 8 the next, then the following week not want any carpenters. So need to be able to update this information easily - at the moment they work on lists supplied by each employer so being to update by employer is really important also. I know a nightmare!!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...