close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

PHP only? that's WRONG!!

Thread began 10/29/2009 9:15 am by ryanteets270615 | Last modified 10/30/2009 7:50 pm by ryanteets270615 | 2604 views | 6 replies

anonymous

I feel like we had this discussion already :)... like 8 months ago right after WA announced they were only going to be building PHP products in the future.

But, while I feel your pain - I also see WebAssist's decision to actually be very wise. I, too, used to code in a non-PHP language, exclusively (ColdFusion). But, I found that learning PHP not only was easy after getting my feet wet, I became a better programmer all the way around. As far as it concerns WebAssist, by focusing on the most broadly used server side language, they are able to generate far more products and extensions than if they were researching, developing, and testing on three separate platforms. They are also able to get through the development stage much quicker and have new releases, as well as, fixes deployed much quicker.

But, WA's decision is also somewhat indicative of how some of these languages are faring. We have seen the debacle at Microsoft... who knows which version of ASP they will continue to enhance or support. Adobe has even dropped ASP.net support beginning in DWCS4. While DW stiill has an ASP tab, Microsoft stopped developing plain ASP and is only developing ".net". I am not sure how WebAssist - a company that makes products for Dreamweaver use - could even consider developing ASP apps anymore, anyway.

As far as ColdFusion goes, while it is probably the cleanest and strongest of the 3 server side languages, it is very expensive to license and most people outside of huge corporate web infrastructures use it far less than a choice like PHP.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...