close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Can't get dreamweaver to work with my local testing server.

Thread began 10/27/2009 7:10 pm by micja | Last modified 11/03/2009 3:53 pm by micja | 25475 views | 20 replies

micja

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  whether using a remote or local webserver, you need to supply a URL prefix.

for a local server the URL is:
http:/localhost/

this address maps to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ folder.

In IIS you can create virtual directories that point to locations on your computer outside the wwwroot, see the following for information:
cc771804%28WS.10%29.aspx

Since you are using powerstore in an existing site and want to be able to edit the power store files with WebAssist Extensions you will need to separate the two. here is how I would configure it:

1) Create a folder on the c drive named websites:
c:\websites

2) Create a virtual directory in IIS named websites and point it to c:\websites

3) create folder under c:\websites called existingsite:
c:\websites\existingsite

4) create folder under c:\websites called powerstore:
c:\websites\powerstore

5) create a site in dreamweaver for the existing site.
a) on the local info tab set the Local Root Folder to:
b) on the local info tab set set the HTTP Address to:
existingsite
c) on the testing server tab select PHP / my SQL as the server model
d) on the testing server tab set the access to Local\Network
e) on the testing server tab set the Testing Server Folder to:
f) on the testing server tab set the URL Prefix to:
existingsite

6) create a site in dreamweaver for the powerstore.
a) on the local info tab set the Local Root Folder to:
b) on the local info tab set set the HTTP Address to:
powerstore
c) on the testing server tab select PHP / my SQL as the server model
d) on the testing server tab set the access to Local\Network
e) on the testing server tab set the Testing Server Folder to:
f) on the testing server tab set the URL Prefix to:
powerstore

put the powerstore files in the c:\websites\powerstore folder and the existing site files in the c:\websites\existingsite folder.  

So far, I think I am following you so I will try this new set up. I plan to copy everything rather than move them for the moment so I don't wreck what I have so far. Before I start, I need to ask a couple more questions.

Since we have two people who work from different computers, we have always stored our site root folder(s) on an external drive. We make sure our DW settings match exactly, and that way we can each work from our own computer on the same files (different times, of course). Is it possible for me to set up this same configuration, following all of your instructions, but keeping it all (except the inetpub file which would stay on the c: drive) on the external drive so we both can access the site? The other reason we would like to do this is because we work on about twenty different sites. I anticipate getting more shopping cart clients at some point, and hadn't really planned on storing multiple sites on my computer hard drive.

The other question is, if I set it all up this way, when I upload to my remote, do I upload from both "sites" (existing site and powerstore) and how will all those work together? I use cpanel on a linux server, and I upload to the public_html folder. It seems like having two separate sites to upload would make it pretty tough to make them work smoothly together. I suppose it is just a matter of creating proper links.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...