close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Dynamically populated form for Insert?? It can't be this hard.

Thread began 10/23/2009 10:50 pm by troyd | Last modified 10/27/2009 12:43 pm by troyd | 1818 views | 4 replies

troyd

Brian,

I am trying to move, or copy data from 1, 2 or both current table into a new third table. The reason for this is mostly to preserve the information for the image file name since it already exists on the server. I am trying to learn all forms of Joins. I just got my new book on SQL yesterday. But yes, I am hoping for a quick way (relatively speaking) to do this.

My end goal, though simplified here, is to pull up a new insert form where there is a menu/list on the left and a menu/list on the right. They are dynamically updated from both current tables. These lists have a value of the id in each table, and a label of the name in each table.

Once "Name1" is selected and "Name2" is selected, and you click submit, the Name, ID and Image_name for both are inserted into the new table. Right now, all I can get is the IDs to show up in the new table.

But to be totally honest, I'd be happy right now if I could simply carry information from one table to another table. I can't even seem to do that.

For study and practice I dumbied-down my project to include only two tables. 1 current table and 1 new table.

For example. Lets say tbl_user has ID, Name, Image.

tbl_orders has a column for ID, Name, Image, OrderID, Comments

How would I select a users name in a form, enter the new OrderID and some comments and have the ID, Name, and Image from tbl_user automatically come along for the ride?

Any help in the right direction for both INNER JOINS for two tables and the Loop would be appreciated.

Thanks,
TroyD

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...