close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

postcode + weight x parcel size help

Thread began 11/29/2016 1:43 pm by Christopher West | Last modified 12/02/2016 7:35 pm by Christopher West | 1242 views | 3 replies

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

postcode + weight x parcel size help

Hi hope anyone can help with some logic.

I have already created an ecommerce delivery system for client which calculates successfully the delivery cost based on total order weight x parcel size on length x width x depth the delivery cost then check on zone (and the first 2 characters of a postcode is based on what ever zone I assign it in the database) so that all works fine.

But I have come to a logically problem. the client is using 3 separate delivery companies (Royal Mail, Parcel Force and a 3rd that deals with very large deliveries).

all clients products store length, width and depth and weight in the database. so that's all fine.

However currently ParcelForce and Royal mail only use 3 zones to separate the country. And the 3rd delivery company splits the country into over 20 zones (all based on the first 4 characters of a postcode. the first 2 characters are letters and the 3rd and 4th character of the postcode are 2 numbers).

obviously it doesn't matter to the customer which of the 3 delivery companies is used.

I think the solution is to somehow use the same postcode/zone split of the country that is used for Royal Mail/Parcel Force and use that for the 3rd delivery company (rather then use the 20 odd zones that the 3rd delivery company use) By doing this then it would make the lookup easier I guess. what do you think?

Also currently Royal Mail and the 3rd delivery company provides max weight and max length, max width and max depth. BUT ParcelForce only provides max weight, max length AND combined 2nd length+max girth. So not sure what to do that calculation...any suggestions there? I don't need coding help, just the logic and I can use that logic to code the solution.

This is for a small shop furniture company. and its really frustrating me as the client changed the goal posts after some time of agreeing price of project etc. But as the delivery system is working currently with first 2 letters of postcode x max weight and max length, width, depth. I just need to enter the values into the database for costs. but I will probably need to add in some php IF statements to do a check on the parcel force combined length+girth x length sizes. and I need a way to simplify the zones. (currently I need to enter in around 2000 postcodes from around GB since parcel force have provided a 4 character postcode list of all their 3 zones.

anyone?

Chris

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...