close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

structure of categories

Thread began 3/06/2016 10:54 am by Christopher West | Last modified 3/28/2016 9:21 am by Christopher West | 3129 views | 19 replies

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

Hi sorry for late reply, been busy with other work. I want to plan for this support ticket in advance so its clear what is required. and wondered if we can discuss on here first so that I can make preparations.

So wanted to ask a few questions:

1. Currently the database has 2 tables (first is a top level category and secondly a sub-category) - Note: the top level category - Would this be a good way to create categories and sub-categories?

2. The top level category also includes; New In, Best Sellers and In-Store (this is actually a filter from the product table where the client can use a checkbox when creating/updating products )I did it this way so that the client can add a category image and page description for these headings) - Does this sound logical practice?

3. The top level category also includes a record containing a details for my product search listing page (this way I can include a category image and description for the search results page (the search results page is also the main category page) - Does this sound logical?

4. The product table (at the moment) only contains a field to store the record id from only the sub-category table (I am thinking it may make sense to add another field in the product table to also store the top level category record id) - is this a logical approach

5. In the client admin area when creating products I was thinking the client first chooses a top level category - and then if this category includes sub categories then using javascript an additional select list appears on the page where the admin can chose a sub-category - is this a good approach?

6. On the website front end - when customers hover over the menu - the top level link will send the customer to a category page where it displays ALL products in that top level category (if sub categories have been assigned to a specific top level category then a drop down displays those sub categories and the customer can chose a sub category which then displays those products for the sub category.

7. So from point 6 - I guess I would use an IF statement to control this condition?

So from above does these points make sense in creating main categories and optional sub categories? Is there a different approach that would be more logical (and if so could you give me details so that I can adjust the database before I do a premiere ticket?

Here is A Quick run down on my menu:
Lighting - (current there is no sub-categories but admin has the option to add some in the admin area)
Living & Dining - (this current has sub categories)
Sleeping - (this current has sub categories)
Accessories - (this current has sub categories)
Interior Design - (current there is no sub-categories but admin has the option to add some in the admin area)
New In - This is filtering via a value in the product table via a checkbox in the admin section)
Best Sellers - This is filtering via a value in the product table via a checkbox in the admin section)
In-Store - This is filtering via a value in the product table via a checkbox in the admin section)

if it helps here are the URL parameters I am passing (just examples)
category.php?Department=Lighting&Category=
category.php?Department=Living-Dining&Category=Occasional-Chairs
category.php?Department=Living-Dining&Category=Sofas-and-Chairs
category.php?Department=New-Arrivals
category.php?Department=Best-Sellers
category.php?Department=Search&Product=chair

From above the URL parameter "Department" = top category and the URL paremeter "Category" = a sub category and then there is Department=Search which indicate my search page.

Chris

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...