close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

This file has been modified outside of Dreamweaver...

Thread began 3/26/2013 8:45 am by Andrew Read | Last modified 8/08/2013 9:15 am by Andrew Read | 9045 views | 9 replies

anonymous

Similar problem and had Adobe response (still a problem though)

Jason

This isn't an answer but may help you identify the problem.

In Dreamweaver CC every time I switched apps (away from DWCC) the open file reset itself as if it was just opened again losing all changes. Contacted Adobe and they told me to switch on the View History display to see what was happening. Every time I switched out of Dreamweaver to another app Dreamweaver reset the history completely. Adobe got me to reset preferences (http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver- cs4-cs5.html). When repeated after reset I got the same pop-up fiel changed message that you were getting. Appears that I must have clicked the check box to dismiss the message and that sets it at YES refresh the document if this problem occurs again.

Adobe's said the message can't be set to automatically be set at NO i.e. don't reload but dismiss the pop-up. So now I get this pop-up all the time if I switch from DWCC to another app and when I go back I need to click NO.

When I asked Adobe how to trace what was causing this, they closed the support ticket saying 'file changed outside of DWCC' i.e. 'not our fault'.

My files for this job are stored on a network server and no-one else is using them except me so I'm the only one that changes them. If I store the files locally and edit/switch apps then I don't get the message. So I am assuming that it is some file time/date stamp comparison that DWCC is making between what is in memory and what is on the server and for some reason the discrepancy is too great so it flags as changed. Or the server is doing an automatic save which is setting the changed flag on the file so again DWCC thinks it's changed.

I've no idea how to test or how I could change DWCC to stop doing this and Adobe have decided that it's my problem not theirs - which it probably is - but it would have been nice of them to advise on how to check :0) I can't believe I'm (and you) the only one experiencing this (and if you search for this message you get results going back to 2003 with the same problem on DW)

Hope this helps you to identify your problem as I assume it's the same process/logic in Adobe that is causing this.

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  something is open that is being created...

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.  

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...