close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Three websites connect to DB, no others will

Thread began 8/07/2013 8:31 am by David in Mississippi | Last modified 8/07/2013 2:58 pm by David in Mississippi | 1042 views | 4 replies

David in Mississippi

Three websites connect to DB, no others will

Please let me apologize in advance for this question being so long, but I want to explain all I have done so you don't have to tell me to try it again.

Also, in advance, I want to thank Jason and Ray for being so patient and forebearing with all the questions they deal with. Part of my advance information is to say I have browsed nearly 100 forum help topics and have not found an answer to my question; but I have noted how patiently Jason particularly deals with all the questions. So thanks for that.

IN A NUTSHELL: I cannot get Dreamweaver (CS6) to connect to more websites' databases - I keep getting the 404 error.

You probably know what I mean, but just in case, it's the one that says 'The testing server specified for this site does not map to the http://(site URL)/public_html/mmServerScripts/MMHTTPDB.php" URL. Verify that the URL prefix maps to the root of the site.' - I checked, and as near as I can tell, it does.

DETAILS: I have three websites I have already built in DW that connect to databases just fine, and they all work from the same HostGator shared host.

I purchased WebAssist - the full nearly $1,000 bundle - about a month ago, and installed CMS on one website (www.sogomusicms.com) and it works fine and the customer is tickled with it. (I do have a question about allowing the customer to edit photos in the CMS, but that's a topic for another thread.)

When I try to get DW to connect to a database on any NEW site I create, I keep getting that frustrating 404 error. Here's what I've done in an attempt to solve the problem (multiple checks and double-checks for each):

- I checked for the MMHTTPDB.php and mysql.php files in the _mmServerScripts folder, and they are there. I compared these files to the same files on the websites whose connections operate properly, and they are identical.

- I checked the remote and testing servers setup in DW, and they are set up exactly the same as the servers in the websites whose connections operate properly, and the [TEST] button yields the "Dreamweaver connected to the web server successfully" message.

- I have tried both the assigned user/password and the site root username/password combinations with no luck. (One of the sites that works properly will not work with the assigned user/password but it will work with the site root username password. Curious.)

I am developing on the live testing server, not using WAMP or XAMPP. I have XAMPP installed, and have attempted to develop using it, but I encountered the same error, so I went back to my preferred method of development, on the live server.

Finally, in frustration, I hand-coded a database connection in PHP on a test page of one of my sites. The hand coded connection works perfectly, connecting to the server and the database, and listing the tables in the database. Yet when I copied and pasted the host, username, password, and database name from the hand-coded connection to the DW-generated Connection01.php file, I still get the 404 error.

As you can imagine, my frustration levels are reaching new highs.

I've been chasing this problem for nearly a month now. No one at Adobe or on any of their forums is any help.

If I cannot make a DW database connection, then I cannot use any of these (expensive!) WebAssist tools, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have a new client who wants me to build a shopping cart website, so I'm desperate to get these connections to work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

David

=================================
NEW INFORMATION as of 1:30 pm, same day as original post.

I figured a 404 error meas Apache is trying to serve up a requested page, but it cannot find the page.

So I went to www.bigbandchartsgroup.com/mmServerScripts, one of my sites that works fine with DW, and saw a listing of the files there, which included the MMHTTPDB.php file. Fine, that's as it should be.

I then went to www.mcsb.us/mmServerScripts, one of my sites that will NOT allow DW to get a connection, and saw a listing of the files there. Guess what... the MMHTTPDB.php file is there as well. So obviously the file is present. WHY am I getting this frustrating 404 error?

(Pardon me while I gnash my teeth.)

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...