close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Sending a custom email with order details - to supplier

Thread began 9/04/2009 11:10 am by larsentim278054 | Last modified 9/10/2009 4:16 pm by larsentim278054 | 4013 views | 10 replies

terry164844

Maybe this might help

Larsentime...

You are probably new to dreamweaver. Here is what happens and what you need to know about getting the data. You are a little confused by a few things.

First, let's start with an order. You will have the customers name, address, ship to address, etc... The proper name for this is call the "Master Record"

Secondly, you have the order record that will contain such things at order id, order date, total amount of order, shipping method, etc... This record would be consider also a "Master Record" because this record will have potentially many sub records for each item ordered. (ie...I place an order on Amazon for 3 books)

Amazon has my customer (Master) record and then it has my order (Master) record for the order I just placed and then it will have the details of each item on the order in another table.

So that is kind of a simplistic view of how an order is put together from a database standpoint.

Now, in order to reference all this information and have access to every piece of the data (Customer, Order, Order Detail) you have to build (if not already done) a recordset that queries the tables and pulls into the page all the data.

When you do this query all the system (php, asp, or whatever) is doing is going out to read the tables, saving the results in an array of variables and now you can do whatever you want with those variables and arrays.

Dreamweaver and Webasssit make is exceedingly easy to output to the page the data that was queried/read/retrieved from the database and display it on a page using html.

So, let's say you want to email your supplier what basically sounds like a duplicate of the order you just received from your customer.

If you are on the order detail page, you already have the customer's information (name, ship to address, and the products of the order.

I"m not sure why Eric was saying you needed to build a recordset to get the customer data, it's already there which means that there has already been a query of the database and all the data you are looking is available to you in an array for you to use.

Anyhow, you could build a simple form that has all the fields for the order and use Universal Email (one awesome product) and send the email to supplier.

Or...another option is to simply add your supplier to the email that gets send from either paypal or paypal pro. You may not want to do this if it has information you don't want to share with your supplier.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more. Please know that once you understand how this all works and is put together, you'll realize just how simple they have made it to get the job done.

If you haven't solved this in the next couple of weeks, let me know as I'm about to implement this for a client and I can share what I did.

Terry

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...