close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

International Shipping Rules setup

Thread began 2/07/2013 7:18 am by Christopher West | Last modified 2/08/2013 8:34 am by Christopher West | 1383 views | 3 replies

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

International Shipping Rules setup

Hi there, Im just about to add international shipping to an existing website I built. I just wanted clarification with the approach im taking plus what formulas I would use in the ecart rules.

Since I am closely matching Royal Mail costs here in the UK and I am am going to be create weight tiers that match their costs. Also to make things simplier for the Admin I am also following Royal Mails approach to how they organise costs throughout the world, they have divided the world as follows:

UK
Europe
World Zone 1 (North America, South America, Middle East, Far East and South East Asia)
World Zone 2 (eg. Australia, New Zealand and Fiji)

So the above would be great since rather than having to enter in costs for each individual country the admin needs to only enter in the above (UK, Europe, Zone1 and Zone2).

Also Europe, Zone1 and Zone 2 will just require Standard shipping for now...

However UK will require...Collect from shop (so no shipping cost), Special Delivery and Recorded Delivery).

I have created 3 database tables
shippingoptions
shippinglocations
shippingcosts

The fields are as follows:

shippingoptions ->
ShippingOptionsID
ShippingOptionsType

shippinglocations ->
ShippingLocationID
ShippingLocationCountries
ShippingLocationZones

shippingcosts ->
ShippingCostsID
ShippingCostsType
ShippingCostsZone
ShippingCostsWeightFrom
ShippingCostsWeightTo
ShippingCostsValue

From the above table structure would this all seem logical? or am i potentially missing something?

I just need to work on the formulas to enter in the ecart shipping rules.

so for example

if the customer enters UK in the select box, another menu will appear which will allow them to select the records stored in the shippingoptions (eg, collect from store, special delivery or recorded delivery) then from the selected shippingoption together with the weight of all items in the cart the session variable to set. otherwise is another country is selected then there is no need to show the shipping options menu since standard delivery will be that countries default.

and to calcaulate the cost of shipping for example for UK the cost of special delivery will be for all items in the cart that are in the weight range of 0g to 1000g. And I be using the value stored in the table shippingcosts under the field ShippingCostsValue.

Also in addition I am adding a coupon system that the client wants to potentially use for giving their customers free delivery with a special coupon number (but the coupon system questions i will put into another thread).

So fromw aht I have written, with regard to the table structure, does this seem to be a logical approach or am i potentially going to run itno problems that i havent considered?

Chris

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...