close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Inserting Products: Blank Page Issues

Thread began 8/23/2009 10:04 pm by bludonda0356993 | Last modified 8/29/2009 9:37 am by bludonda0356993 | 2614 views | 5 replies

bludonda0356993

Insert Product Blank Pages: The Case of the lower case

First off, if you have gotten this far into this particular thread, then let me say that Jason here has done a great job offline to help me. I wish to apologize for being so harsh earlier at the start. I always like a to eat a little crow with my humble pie. Sorry Jason and thanks for your time in trying to help me.

Anyway, Jason and I went over several possible causes for my problem and most worked but others didn't. However, to make a long story short, ultimately the fault was mine. I had made a copy of the image folder and did not realize that the original image folder was created with a CAPITAL "I" and mine was a lower case "i" (my standard, by-habit naming convention). Also, I had neglected to copy over the "Upload" folder for the images to go into.

After I noticed that small but critical situation and fixed it, and after some red herrings in setting folder/directory permissions on the host server and speculation about the .htaccess file settings, I set everything back to the default and was able to finally start adding products and images to the site.

There is still some question about the access settings being correct, but the thing is working now so I'm not going to mess with it too much.

The bottom line is, don't muck about in the files or directories more than what they instruct you. If you do, be prepared for the frustrating consequences as you go back and inspect any changes or renames you did in the process that could affect the function of your site as intended. All of my issues turned out to be caused by my messing with code I should have left alone or a simple (and stupid on my part) matter of a lower case "i" in a directory/folder name rather than a capital "I". That and a critical folder that did not get copied over caused me countless hours of frustration.

In my "real job" I deal with maintaining a state agency website and I thought I had it pretty well figured out, but we don't do a lot of PHP back end stuff like this and I took it for granted I could figure it out. I was too clever by half and it made way more work for myself than was needed.

I suspect if we just follow the directions as stated here would be a lot less issues posted on these forums. I just want to give folks a heads up on what the real problem with my issue was.

But I still have a lot of work to do before this site is fully functional as intended, but I'm feeling a bit more confident that I'll be able to get things sorted out. I'm sure I'll also be checking back here for more answers.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...