close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Menu Navigation Structure Logic

Thread began 10/14/2012 7:00 pm by Christopher West | Last modified 10/18/2012 11:43 am by Christopher West | 2905 views | 11 replies

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

Menu Navigation Structure Logic

Hello ok, need some help in terms of logic structuring a menu system whereupon my client can create their own header menu items, these will then display sidebar sub menus which will be individual to the page that the header menu is linked to. furthermore there maybe a sidebar submenu that maybe shared with 2 or more header menu items.

im thinking this would require 3 tables

header menu
sidemenu
and linking menu

the header menu will also contain its own small icon image.

also the way i want to display the URL links is using the MenuName (rather then an ID value)

Plus I want the client to be able to control which menu items from the database will be displayed on the header menu (for example 6 months down the line they may want to make one of the sidemenus to be the header menu item)

And this will also involve them create new header menu items and even deleting menu items at will.

the menu name will also be stored in a "content" table in the database so that when the menu item is clicked then the relating content from the content table is dynamacially displayed.

Im just wondering if I am overcomplicating my logic with the 3 tables? Can it be done with less tables or does it require more tables?

I want to sort out my logic before coding.

currently my tables are as follows:

TopNav
#TopNavID
#TopNavName (this is the actual displayed name of the link + will shows in the URL)
#TopNavIcon (this stored a graphic image)
#TopNavState (this allows for the top menu items to be displayed or temporary disabled)
#TopNavLink

SubNav
#SubNavID
#SubNavName (this is the actual displayed name of the link + will shows in the URL)
#SubNavState (this allows for the sub menu items to be displayed or temporary disabled)
#SubNavLink

NavLink
#NavLinkID
#NavLinkParent
#NavLinkChild

If this is the correct approach then how can I join these tables together in the correct way to correctly display from my description?

regards

Chris

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...